Make a donation

Author Topic: oil visible on front grill  (Read 1593 times)

Offline moukie

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • MkV GTi
    • Email
oil visible on front grill
« on: July 07, 2018, 09:37:50 am »
After a drive yesterday I noticed the bottom of the honeycomb front grill was damp with some oil ? Has anyone else experienced this, not sure where it has come from ?

Offline DavGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: oil visible on front grill
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 12:35:30 pm »
Yes, I was doing an oil and filter change last Saturday and noticed some oil around that area and on top of the under tray. After a good look around I noticed drivers side of the intercooler had some oil around the pipe I suspect that’s where mines has came from. Quick google search shows this is quite common for these cars and O rings need replaced. So that’s what I’m going to try first. Was supposed to get them and do that today but other things have came up unfortunately. It’ll be a job for next Saturday. Mines isn’t to bad just a fair bit of residue although not leaking on to the drive way.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 01:30:19 pm »
If the oil is on the upper half of the front grille, I'd be looking for an intercooler leak.   If it's on the lower portion, probably just intercooler O rings as above.  Under boost, a thin mist of oil can escape past the O rings, similar to piston ring blow-by.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline moukie

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • MkV GTi
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 10:30:02 pm »
Thanks for the fast replies ! The oil isn’t on the lower part of the grill so I will have a look at the inter cooler I-ring thanks that’s super helpful.

Offline moukie

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • MkV GTi
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 12:50:25 pm »
Does anyone have a guide for fitting the o-ring or can point me to one on the forum?