Make a donation

Author Topic: Mid front door speaker adaptors  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Wprice1280

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Mid front door speaker adaptors
« on: July 18, 2018, 02:43:39 pm »
Hi all.

Sorry in advance for any repetition. I'm trying to find some mid speaker adaptors for the front doors on my mk5 gti 06. Ive retro fitted 3 ways using a glue gun but am unhappy with the results and wanted to find some decent adaptor pods to fit them correctly. The speakers are focal 165as3. I've searched around but can't find anything. If anyone has any info or links it would be most appreciated.

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
Re: Mid front door speaker adaptors
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 10:44:30 pm »
I made up my own out of a sheet of plastic I bought off eBay

Offline Wprice1280

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 09:37:08 am »
Seems like the go to method. I've watched a few vids so maybe I'll give it a go at some point. Do you know the exact measurements you used? I think I measured around 4.5 inches between the fixing points.

Offline theminty1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 12:11:42 pm »
Make them from MDF. Thats the common material if making yourself. Combinations of 6mm and 12mm. What you normally do is trace round the outside of your new speaker in 6mm mdf. That gives you the size and mounting holes for it, then look at the then do a similar thing for the holes that are on the door panel. Glue them both together. Paint with backboard paint or spray to make them look nice and waterproof. Done ;) Alternatively go to your local car hifi place and i am sure they can help
140 BKD GT TDi  5dr

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 03:49:11 pm »
Draw a circle 115mm dia. Place a square of 102mm on top of it so the centre of the circle and the centre of the square are the same. Drill a hole 6mm dia in each corner of the square so centre of each hole is 6mm in from the edge of the square, give the outside corners of the square a 6mm radius. Cut out the hole and drilling pattern in the centre to suit your speakers.  :happy2:

Offline Wprice1280

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 04:00:54 pm »
Thanks for the info folks  :happy2: very helpful.

I've ordered a sheet of abs plastic so I'll give that a try. Door card is being a pain at the moment as the clips won't pull it fully onto the door. I've tried a few times. Don't understand what's causing the issue. Meh! Think I need to figure out why waters coming in from behind the glove box first  :thinking: