Make a donation

Author Topic: Easiest way of connecting phone to RCD300  (Read 7124 times)

Offline dadjokes

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Easiest way of connecting phone to RCD300
« on: July 20, 2018, 01:21:50 pm »
Hi all,

I've been going round in circles reading tons of threads about headunit upgrades, canbus gateways, and so on!

Basically I've just bought a beautiful 57 plate Mk5 GTI and the one thing I miss about my previous car (2016 Fiesta ST) is that when I'm driving to work I like to listen to podcasts through the car stereo.

The car currently has an RCD300 (I believe) and the 6 CD Changer under the arm rest. No AUX port in the glovebox.

What is the easiest/quickest/simplest way of streaming audio from my Android phone to the car stereo? Bluetooth would be great if it was reliable but I also wouldn't mind plugging in a headphone jack either.

Offline GTI8v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email

Offline dadjokes

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
Re: Easiest way of connecting phone to RCD300
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 07:39:05 pm »
Interesting - hadn't thought of an FM transmitter! I had something similar years ago and it was a bit crap, but no doubt they've improved since then.

I'm also thinking of swapping the 6CD Changer for the iPod dock and putting a bluetooth receiver on that? Has anyone done this successfully?

Amr400

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 08:37:39 pm »
The cheap workarounds to add bluetooth can be done through FM transmitters.

However, they can hiss at low noises, and you must be loosing sound quality in the process. They do the job, but are still fairly crap.

If youre looking for a cheap, quick way - then go for it.

In my experience though, upgrading the head unit would be a significant change - especially if you are going to keep the car.

You can probably find cheaper, but this is a link to the RCD330 plus unit with the canbus.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-5-VW-Car-Stereo-Radio-MIB2-RCD330-Gateway-CANBUS-CarPlay-MirroLink-BT-USB-SD/232586553578?hash=item36273d28ea:g:kTMAAOSwN6NbSfY4

Offline dadjokes

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 01:38:13 pm »
Thanks!

In that listing though, would the CANbus still need recoding? How would I do that, or where would I get it done if so? I'm not really sure how that side of things works.

I've just tried the ipod dock and bluetooth receiver method - didn't work. Got power to the bluetooth receiver, paired with it, but the headunit doesn't recognise the dock, just says 'NO CD' - anyone any ideas?

Offline dadjokes

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 10:26:33 am »
OK so I got this sorted. Thanks to the poster above, the FM Transmitter he linked to works a treat, and for £16 you can't go wrong. Connects quickly and automatically to my phone, sounds great, doesn't drain the battery if you leave it in the 12v socket. Only downside is that because of the design of the transmitter and the Golf, it has to go in sideways but that's no problem.

FWIW, I tried two different iPod docks off ebay, neither worked. One would get power but not show up on the headunit, the other would show up as a CDC on the headunit but had no power.

Offline Marrkyyy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 09:48:54 am »
Thanks!

I just bought a bone stock 08 Pirelli and got the same concern. Saved me the time to consider replacing the CD changer with the iPod dock

Offline GTI DAZ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
  • My Ride: Previous: Mk7.5 Fiesta ST, Current: None, future: MK5 GTI