Make a donation

Author Topic: Really Strong Glue Suggestions for Cracked Freezer Drawers  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Really Strong Glue Suggestions for Cracked Freezer Drawers
« on: July 21, 2018, 10:42:21 am »
Anyone know of anything up to the job......you know......when the freezer needs defrosting and someone yanks the drawers open and they crack by the pull handle, grrrr.

I can't see anything working due to the low temperature and the flexing, as you try to pull it open against any resistance. Really needs some kind of re-inforcement, or plating somehow to add some strength. Got me baffled. Shyte really - it's happened on every freezer we've had - or maybe we just don't defrost often enough - always something else to do; trying to get it empty; finding somewhere for what's left in it;  then water all over the kitchen floor - nightmare!

Cheers for any thoughts :thinking:

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
Re: Really Strong Glue Suggestions for Cracked Freezer Drawers
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 12:07:11 pm »
tiger seal any good?

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 01:34:25 pm »
I have same issue!.

Buy a small piece of perspex from eBay, and stick it to the back side of the crack using weatherproof sealant - I'm looking at sikaflex 512 caravan, which looks to be good for -60!

Offline andyR43

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 05:35:10 pm »
Areldite epoxy, very strong and suitable for temperatures as low as -30 degrees Celsius. :happy2:

Keeping it original..............or not!!

4ndy

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 05:53:13 pm »
Time to jump into the 21st century with frost free  Go on splash out the GTI upgrades can wait :signLOL: :signLOL:

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 10:02:47 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions chaps......

It really needed some reinforcement, so I had a nose around the garage and used a small piece of wood  and cut it down (1cm X 10cm, roughly) so that it fitted quite snuggly into the recessed handle part of the drawer, where it had cracked right in the middle. This gave sufficient support / strengthening, but looked awful, so I covered the wood with 3M's self adhesive metal repair tape, which has a chrome finish, which also helped to secure it to the plastic drawer handle.

It looked pretty good, and functions fine - wifey say's its good, and she's very fussy. So far, so good, been on a while now, but time will tell if it holds out..... Beats over £30 for a new drawer, just a bit of time and effort, ha ha