Make a donation

Author Topic: Out of Warranty, Rust  (Read 2172 times)

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115571.0.html
Out of Warranty, Rust
« on: July 22, 2018, 08:34:45 pm »
I've had these bubbles on my wheel arches for a while and did not know the scope of the problem until now. They have recently gotten worse. So I did some looking into it and only just learnt of the 12 year rust warranty.

The other side is no where near as bad, but does have one 1cm bubble.

I know I'm probably way too late to get this done under warranty, especially being an 05 plate, so I will be visiting my local body shop tomorrow to get a quote.
I will also be going to the VW dealer to see if there's anything they can do. I've read of people getting 50/50 or 70/30 deals with the dealer.

Can anyone share their experience with trying the warranty whilst being out of warranty? Or if that failed, a rough idea how much this will cost?
And if I'm going all in to get this fixed, what are other common rust problems I should be looking out for?
Thanks!

Offline Rigsby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 8
Re: Out of Warranty, Rust
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 09:32:08 pm »
Lothian spares on eBay do new wings painted for £179 .

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 08:27:40 am »
I’m in the same situation, vw wouldn’t replace mine. It’s only the drivers side for me and I’ve been quoted £400 for it doing by a local Bodyshop.

£150 for the wing
£250 labour

@Rigsby are the Lothian spares ones any good do you know? I saw them myself but was slightly concerned of fit/colour match

Docspawn

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 12:16:02 pm »
Just noticed wheel arch rust appearing on my 2008 mk5, reported to VW and got check by local garage and seems the car was registered 10 years and 2 months ago so not willing to offer 'Good will fix offer'.
Gutted as looked after garaged car with low millage !

Also looking to get repaired as too good to get go.

Offline Rigsby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 08:16:15 pm »
I’m in the same situation, vw wouldn’t replace mine. It’s only the drivers side for me and I’ve been quoted £400 for it doing by a local Bodyshop.

£150 for the wing
£250 labour

@Rigsby are the Lothian spares ones any good do you know? I saw them myself but was slightly concerned of fit/colour match

I thought the same mate, but a few on here said they’re pretty good.
I got refused by vw so I’ll be getting the Lothian spares ones at some point.
I diy’d mine rust treated and sprayed upto arch crease, looked ok but rust is coming back through.

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115571.0.html
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 08:52:53 pm »
If genuine unpainted wings are 150 each, I'm very tempted to go genuine and have them painted at a body shop. i'll report back with painting prices.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:03:00 pm by pandaman »

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 09:08:38 pm »
In the same situation, have no idea why the previous owner didn't get them done, probably didn't know :/

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 09:29:49 pm »

£150 for the wing
£250 labour

I thought the same mate, but a few on here said they’re pretty good.
I got refused by vw so I’ll be getting the Lothian spares ones at some point.
I diy’d mine rust treated and sprayed upto arch crease, looked ok but rust is coming back through.

Yea it is tempting I’ve got to admit. The guy at the bodyshop I use did say that the non genuine ones do fit well and it’s difficult to tell but they don’t quite line up in some areas. I suppose for a quarter of the price you could probably live with it though. He also said that they’d rust pretty quickly, but he could have been trying to avoid talking himself out of a job with that one