Make a donation

Author Topic: AC Issue - Cold air on right side, ambient on left.  (Read 2245 times)

Offline spicypixel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
AC Issue - Cold air on right side, ambient on left.
« on: August 05, 2018, 08:46:16 pm »
Hey guys wondered if anyone could shine a light on a problem I'm having.

To start, it's a Golf Mk5 TDI GT 2007 with dual zone climatronic.

I can get -2c cold air on the right hand side vent with aircon on lowest, centre right gives me 14-15c and centre left gives me 18-19c. Then Right itself gives me ambient, no matter what it is. This is measured with a laser IR thermometer down into the vent. VCDS gives me the right hand side as being the centre right temp rather than the fully right side temp, not sure where the sensor is on the ducting though.

Compressor/condenser are running fine as evidenced, as is the evaporator.

Grabbed a video of having the blowers on max with no AC on, to reset the temperature to ambient (did this to check if the heating was leaking on the left to see if it's fighting the AC but seems to be off as it suggests as it's not warmer than ambient.)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/L1CPgDzJxZW4cDEF8

As you can see right drops rapidly and left doesn't budge really at all.

Any advice?

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 08:57:21 pm by spicypixel »
Mk5 GT TDI 170 - MY2007

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Re: AC Issue - Cold air on right side, ambient on left.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 05:49:05 pm »

Offline spicypixel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 11:00:42 am »
So as an update, it seems I've taken a huge stone through the front grill and smashed the condenser to the point I'd be damned surprised if it isn't leaking, the left/right issue is just a lack of r134a seemingly, it was down to 180g of the 525g capacity...

So I'm having to take the front off and swap it out tonight and getting it regassed, damn.

Turns out these things are common issues as the condenser is paper thin aluminium sheet and sacrificial to protect the main radiator.
Mk5 GT TDI 170 - MY2007

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 05:36:13 pm »
Yep.  I would say that amount of gas lost does indeed point to a ruptured condenser.   Worth doing anyway as a new condenser restores the A/C 100% back to how it should be.  They get clogged up with and clobbered with all kinds of sh1t.

VW probably put it at the front as it's a pretty borderline system anyway, other cars seem to get super cold far quicker.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline spicypixel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 10:29:05 pm »
Can confirm new condenser put on (that was hassle to do...) and it's passed the vacuum test and filled up. Woo!
Mk5 GT TDI 170 - MY2007