Make a donation

Author Topic: Sticky calipers again  (Read 2212 times)

Offline DavGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Sticky calipers again
« on: August 10, 2018, 09:42:47 pm »
So I’ve got sticky calipers again fs. Although I’m wondering could it be the hand brake cable this time? As both calipers where replaced with brand new calipers pads and disks last June I think and have only covered approx 6k miles. When pulling the hand brake the first 2-3 clicks have no resistance at all and don’t actually click. This happened during the frosty winter time like every day it was frosty or snowy and brakes would need to be used quite a bit for about 20-30 mins before the calipers would un stick and resistance in the hand brake would come back, but after a long drive and plenty of brake use doesn’t seem to be coming back this time.. I put the winter hand brake seizing down to a vw thing as my old bora would do the same in the winter and also my second car vw polo.  My car only really gets used at weekends now due to having company van and sits there all the time with hand brake on. Could this be the issue? Anyone else experience anything similar? Or am I looking at more calipers?

Offline DavGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Sticky calipers again
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 10:20:35 am »
Also would anyone know if it would be possible to release the hand brake cable on the passanger side at the caliper if the cable was seized? Or would there need to be no tension on the cable to release it? I think I’m gonna try this first to eliminate that before I investigate further or purchase anything.

Offline DavGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 12:29:01 pm »
Incase anyone encounters a similar issue. I jacked car up this morning disconnected the hand brake cable at the caliper and re connected checked hand brake in side cabin and tension was back. Took for a drive and no more sticky wheel. Checked the cable at the caliper and no rust on the cable and the rubber seal seems fine with no cracks or splits. Probably just jammed on with the car being sitting on the drive quite a lot.

Pavlosqmc

Where is Administration mk5golfgti.co.uk ??
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 12:15:59 pm »
Can I contact Administration?
It is important.
Regards.

Online Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email