Make a donation

Author Topic: RNS 510 - HOST - Fragment File read - Error  (Read 4516 times)

flemche

RNS 510 - HOST - Fragment File read - Error
« on: August 14, 2018, 08:26:28 am »
Hi All,

I have a problem with my RNS 510 unit.
On my vacation 14 days ago the unit failed when we took a break and suddenly started to restart after showing the logo.

Unit:      RNS 510
Model:   1T0 035 680 (1T0035680)
HW:       H73
SW:       0421

I thought it was the disk so I changed it and downloaded a SWL image (5238).

When trying to reload the image it stopped with a "EcuOrder.txt - Error Reading HW Version - Error"
I found out that this is caused by my unit not supporting this version.

I then tried with a new image (2680 Factory setting) but failed again with a "Downgrade Error".

I have then tried with image (900) & (1100) but with both image it stoppes with a "HOST - Fragment File read - Error"

I'm hopelessly stuck, anyone please help.

Regards
Flemming

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
Re: RNS 510 - HOST - Fragment File read - Error
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 07:05:01 am »
You've probably already seen this post, as I think it's the top hit on Google, but apart from the guide at the top, it has sooo much information in the comments where there have been failures as well as successes.
https://paulroberts69.wordpress.com/2015/10/01/upgrading-firmware-and-maps-on-vw-rns-510-satnav/

I replaced my drive with a blank IDE SSD (more for stability, as it doesn't do much for speed) and cant remember anything that didn't go to plan as it was nearly 3 years ago, but this guide still holds up. Often the DVD/CD can be the issue, so if you're using one try a different brand or the SD card method.

Also try "If RNS 510 complains about downgrade error, insert media and reboot unit by pressing Setup + Eject + Info/Mic/whatever the top right button is together"

Good luck

Stu
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:07:00 am by Stupots »
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

flemche

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 01:33:23 pm »
Hi Stu,

Yes I did see the post you describe as well as a lot of other posts.
And I did exactly as they all describe but still I get the failure.

I did use a CD though and not a SD card, but I really don't think this will do any difference.

I only found one post who describes my error (HOST - Fragment File read) but from what I can read it doesn't sound too good.
http://radiocode.ru/?page_id=65

"When the HOST strips are flashed at 28-91%, an error message ( Error 185 ) is output , and then the disc is discarded with an error (Error - HOST - Fragment File read)"
"it means - the file system is corrupt and if this happens when flashing any version, then there is no way to repair it .. It's useless to torture the device with firmware ..."

I haven't found any other posts who can confirm this unfortunately but it's exactly what I'm experiencing.
So I hoped for some experts advice or confirmations on the matter in this forum.

/Flemming

Offline Pashka

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 07:12:30 pm »
Hi Stu,

Yes I did see the post you describe as well as a lot of other posts.
And I did exactly as they all describe but still I get the failure.

I did use a CD though and not a SD card, but I really don't think this will do any difference.

I only found one post who describes my error (HOST - Fragment File read) but from what I can read it doesn't sound too good.
http://radiocode.ru/?page_id=65

"When the HOST strips are flashed at 28-91%, an error message ( Error 185 ) is output , and then the disc is discarded with an error (Error - HOST - Fragment File read)"
"it means - the file system is corrupt and if this happens when flashing any version, then there is no way to repair it .. It's useless to torture the device with firmware ..."

I haven't found any other posts who can confirm this unfortunately but it's exactly what I'm experiencing.
So I hoped for some experts advice or confirmations on the matter in this forum.

/Flemming
1st solution rewrite/change corupted eeproms.
2nd solution change the main board
3rd thing, your unit is almost the oldest one available, so if you had luck flashing software 5xxx, it will be dead 99 percents. It would die from 3xxx software. I would try to flash it with 1xxx software but don't think it would help you, the easiest way is to change the unit or change the board, but board itself cost about 150 quids and still need special tools to code the board to the unit.
06 1.9 TDI Owner. Retrofits: Bixenons, Drls, Full GT/GTI exterior, RNS510+MDI+Premium Bluetooth+RVC+OPS, Full Fis, MFSW, Cruise control, TPMS, Polar Fis, Boot pop up and more.. :)
Coding, diagnostic and retrofits in Leeds
Pre coded Can Gateways for battery drain issues with RNS510 and similar headunits
Premium Bluetooth modules/kit
RNS510 Service - codes, maps/firmware updates
Latest V8 West EU maps update service for RNS315