Make a donation

Author Topic: Looking at buying a mk5, advice wanted with steering wheel  (Read 1124 times)

Jmorrison

Looking at buying a mk5, advice wanted with steering wheel
« on: August 15, 2018, 09:03:22 pm »
Looking at buying a mk5 manual pirelli edition, only thing I don't like at the minute is it has a plain old steering wheel, is it possible to upgrade this to a multifunction wheel that will allow me to control the stereo etc? Upgrade is part function part aesthetic as i'm not a big fan of the plain wheel it looks out of place in such a nice car.

Thanks.

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
Re: Looking at buying a mk5, advice wanted with steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 11:46:51 am »
Yes, several ways. Get a mk5 multi function steering wheel (MFSW) or get a mk6 MFSW with associated steering wheel module. Or cheapest option is to just get the multifunction buttons and inserts and install them into your current wheel. Apparently the threads for installing them are already in non MFSW.
All options will require coding to get the buttons to work.

redsportt

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 12:13:09 pm »
Looking at buying a mk5 manual pirelli edition, only thing I don't like at the minute is it has a plain old steering wheel, is it possible to upgrade this to a multifunction wheel that will allow me to control the stereo etc? Upgrade is part function part aesthetic as i'm not a big fan of the plain wheel it looks out of place in such a nice car.

Thanks.

If you're staying with the original radio get the mk5 mfsw, new £600 or used unlikely to get the pirelli steering wheel.
If you're going to get a mk6 radio rns310 or rns510 etc get a mk6 steering wheel also £600 new

Jmorrison

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 02:31:45 pm »
Thanks for the help, just put a deposit on it today so picking it up next week, do you know the best place for me to pick up said buttons and inserts and should there already be wiring behind the wheel to plug in to?

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 09:18:54 pm »
If the car is DSG and has the paddle shifts on the steering wheel, buying the buttons and installing is the easiest and cheapest way to upgrade. The wiring is already there and this is what I did on mine.

It’s a simple case of removing air bag (after disconnecting the battery), removing blanking plates and then installing new multifunction buttons in its place. Don’t think you need any coding at least I didn’t for mine to work but could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 12:53:22 pm »
You can get the button and control module they connect to out of a Passat b6 steering wheel, which are more readily available and cheaper on eBay (about £60)

But being a manual you'll have to cut the foam away in your wheel to fit them.

Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2