Make a donation

Author Topic: How long does the Rev G DV last?  (Read 3529 times)

Offline Molesy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
How long does the Rev G DV last?
« on: August 16, 2018, 01:30:16 pm »
Hey Guys,

My cars due a service in the next month and it got me thinking if I should get my DV checked. So how long/often do people recommend changing the DV? I've been on Rev G for a couple of years (about 2.5 maybe a little more) and approx 25000 miles and running Stage 1 for almost that entire mileage. At one stage I was thinking about fitting a GFB DV+ but since then hearing the issues that have been floating around I decided against. Interested to hear people thoughts.

Cheers,

Molesy  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: How long does the Rev G DV last?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 08:30:30 am »
For the cost of it, it's probably worth making it an annual change, although it's a bit of a pain on KO3 engines.  10 mins on a KO4  :smiley:

If you want a fit and forget option, stick a Rev D in.  There is a lot of noise on the internet about them leaking etc but I've never experienced that.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Molesy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 09:12:21 am »
For the cost of it, it's probably worth making it an annual change, although it's a bit of a pain on KO3 engines.  10 mins on a KO4  :smiley:

If you want a fit and forget option, stick a Rev D in.  There is a lot of noise on the internet about them leaking etc but I've never experienced that.

Cheers Pudding I'll look into the Rev D as well as Rev G and see whats easiest/cheapest to get hold off - Are you still running your GFB?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 09:26:17 am »

Cheers Pudding I'll look into the Rev D as well as Rev G and see whats easiest/cheapest to get hold off - Are you still running your GFB?

Nah I chucked that ages ago.  I've been Rev G for a while now, but I do have a Rev D to hand as well.   Both work well.  I think they are the same price so if I was to replace my G now, I'd put a D in.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 09:30:08 am »
I split a Rev G inside 12months at Stage 2+ on a K03. No issues in the last 2 or 3 years of having a GFB DV+ fitted
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Molesy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 03:09:37 pm »
Cheers Guys, I'll get the DV replaced either way now. @Dan_FR I would have gone for one but it does seem the most recent ones have been changed and seem to sticking more. Its my daily driver so for now I'll stick with OEM.

Molesy
 :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 03:35:41 pm »
There isn't enough data to determine if the GFB item is wholly problematic or not, but the orange silicon pad peeling off the piston on mine wasn't reassuring.

Mine was 4 years old though, and GFB assured me the manufacturing process has been improved since then, but I'm sticking to OEM now for simplicity and reliability....well....in respect of the Rev D at least as the Gs like to split.

Offline mo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 03:39:24 pm »
Mines still on its original rev G, cars on about 85K now
2007 Ed30 Superchips Bluefin Stg 1
RNS510 & MDI

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 10:19:59 am »
Changed my DV on my ED30 last night. (Old DV is rev G as is the new one).
Old DV didn't have any tears but noticed the stem wasnt protruding as far out from the main body compared  to the new DV (if this makes sense).

My word.... The car pulls like a horse now!! (compared to the Shetland pony it was).

Only negative was that I broke the little retaining clip on the power plug - the plug is friction fit only now. I hope that's enough to stay on  :sad1:

For information, the Rev G DV was £43 from TPS.

Rich

Offline Molesy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 10:50:43 am »
Changed my DV on my ED30 last night. (Old DV is rev G as is the new one).
Old DV didn't have any tears but noticed the stem wasnt protruding as far out from the main body compared  to the new DV (if this makes sense).

My word.... The car pulls like a horse now!! (compared to the Shetland pony it was).

Only negative was that I broke the little retaining clip on the power plug - the plug is friction fit only now. I hope that's enough to stay on  :sad1:

For information, the Rev G DV was £43 from TPS.

Rich

Cheers Rich, I had the same thing when I first replaced my DV, hoping I will get that feeling again!

Molesy
 :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 06:12:43 pm »
Been on a G for a couple of years at 2/2+ myself and as much as it all feels fine I probably wouldn't notice a gradual deterioration over time. Might stick it on the list next time it's in.

The knackered Rev C that came out was definitely losing a lot of power. Felt like a mini remap when the new Rev G went in!

Offline Molesy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 11:33:27 am »
Been on a G for a couple of years at 2/2+ myself and as much as it all feels fine I probably wouldn't notice a gradual deterioration over time. Might stick it on the list next time it's in.

The knackered Rev C that came out was definitely losing a lot of power. Felt like a mini remap when the new Rev G went in!

Yeah that was my thinking and experience mate, I'll let you know how it feels after I get it done.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 07:44:05 am »
Spring fatigue i'm guessing was the cause of the plunger not fully extending? On my K03 I used to split the rubber, and when it split it felt like somebody had stolen my map and uploaded the standard map again - hardly any psi of boost and no torque at all
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Molesy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 01:57:02 pm »
So just to finish this tread, had it replaced with a Rev G yesterday and the car certainly has her beans back again, car feels smoother and more progressive on the power and you can tell it's holding much better boost and generally all round feels much better - we had a look at the old Rev G and tbh it really didn't look bad, no obvious tears from what we could see but still must have been leaking to some degree for the car to feel this much better.

@AJP  might be worth sticking on for the next service mate.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 04:05:17 pm »
Maybe as Dan said, the springs get a bit weak.  They're not exactly strong to begin with!   Might be worth cutting a couple of coils off it and extend it to up the spring rate.  Having said that, it's the little holes in the middle of the piston that actually clamp it down to the compressor housing.