Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 Golf GTI suspension refurbishment  (Read 7887 times)

Offline re2

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
MK5 Golf GTI suspension refurbishment
« on: August 17, 2018, 04:28:23 pm »
I've had a look through several topics but I can't find a comprehensive How To guide. I've a full bush kit with WALK and I'll be buying the VWR spring and shock kit.

I've seen that the RS3 front top mount kit is the way forward. What about the rears?

Are there any stretch bolts that have to be replaced? Any bolts worth getting just in case as I've seen the eccentric bolts at the rear can cause problems?

Any tips or tricks? I hope to get this done at a garage in a day as I'm self employed

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
Re: MK5 Golf GTI suspension refurbishment
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 05:16:34 pm »
Whilst you have it apart, it would be worthwhile doing as much as you can to avoid extra alignment sessions. i would recommend fitting alloy Passat B6 hubs & control arms to save @3.5kg per side plus also polybush front bushing. Since you are lowering the suspension, new ball joints would be helpful to correct the roll centres - either Passat or Superpro.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 05:58:15 pm »
All of the chassis components and subframes use stretch bolts, apart from the brake caliper carrier bolts.

If the rear tyre wear is even and the car tracks straight, there is no need to touch the rear camber bolts.  Save that for when the rear end actually needs a rebush.  The bushes back there can appear to look tired on visual inspection, but in many cases they are still fine.

Yep, go with MK2 TT/8P S3/RS3 front top mounts, they're all the same.  The bearing is the same as the Golf's/Polo's, but the rubber mounting is a stiffer compound, which you will need with uprated dampers.   There is no uprated top mount option for the rear.  The rear mounts are more metal than rubber and never wear out.

I strongly recommend the TyrolSport deadset kit to lock the front subframe firmly in place.  I would also go with SuperPro ball joints as suggested above to run a bit more negative camber, which these cars respond well to.

Other than that, just check everything over, CV boots mainly as they are fond of splitting, and general wear items.  No point lobbing money at stuff that is still sound.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline re2

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 01:39:09 pm »
Thank you
 The VWR kit only lowers the GTI by 15mm anyway so do I need adjustable ball joints?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 03:38:46 pm by re2 »

Offline colesey

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 06:20:51 pm »
More like 25mm at front. We measured mine in this earlier thread

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,116982.msg1109342.html#msg1109342

I have the SP balljoints (plus H&R small arbs) and the extra camber does improve front end bite.

Offline re2

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 08:38:03 pm »
SP ball joints?

Offline re2

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 08:39:56 pm »
I'm open to suspension suggestions too. Not after Lows, but daily fun and commuting

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 02:43:07 pm »
The VWR kit is unbeatable for that requirement at the price point.  I had to spend £2.2K to significantly better it.

My only criticisms are; it sits lower than advertised as already mentioned, and there is not enough spring rate when pushing on, so front arch fouling is a likely possibility on mid corner compressions.   I'm not even talking driving it like you stole it, merely 7/10ths on some local corners that OEM and coilovers never kiss the arch on.

As ever, products that tick all of the boxes cost considerably more than those that only tick 70% of them.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Molesy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 12:53:32 pm »
@re2  have a look at my thread here it may give you some pointers mate.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113824.0.html

Molesy  :happy2:

Offline re2

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 08:04:34 am »
Thank you

Offline gixerben

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92657.msg930393.html#msg930393
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 04:45:37 pm »
@pudding I have been reading your great view on the VWR kit as I was tempted for my Pirelli. Like you I'm not a big fan of super low (getting old!) and what to asks your views on other kits.

Id like improvements over standard, maybe with a slight drop but nothing that will interfere with xenon levelling and wing fouling when giving it the beans!

Was tempted with an Ohlins kit (2nd hand kit on ebay) but still very good money for something that gets used for 2k a year.

all view welcome  :smiley:
Pirelli GTI

Offline colesey

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 05:12:35 pm »
@gixerben - you might want to speak with @Bodyboarder81 about the Ohlins on ebay as they were his sales return and have a history.  I have the racingline kit also (plus HR arbs / superpro control arms) and find them to be very good overall.  The issue with front softness / arch rubbing happens occasionally at low speeds with weight being thrown forward rather than during spirited driving. The overall drop is manageable at under 25mm.

Offline gixerben

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92657.msg930393.html#msg930393
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 05:20:03 pm »
cheers @colesey when you say "a history* whats do you mean?
Pirelli GTI

Offline colesey

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 05:37:52 pm »
He returned them for a refund as they were felt to be defective. I was looking at the ebay listing also and put two and two together that they might have belonged to Josh. We had a chat and he told me that there was a knocking noise from one rear unit which followed to the other side of the car when swapped over by his garage. Josh spent a lot of time and money trying to get to the bottom of the issue but to no avail; it came with these Ohlins and left when they were taken out.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 05:47:49 pm by colesey »

Offline gixerben

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 05:40:26 pm »
good to know mate, thanks. It's a lot of money and when I asked some questions got one word answers...

Not what I wanted for the money.
Pirelli GTI