Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 to Mk7/Scirocco/Passat B8 climatronic retrofit  (Read 17771 times)

Offline spicypixel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Mk5 to Mk7/Scirocco/Passat B8 climatronic retrofit
« on: August 18, 2018, 08:02:30 pm »
Question time!

So I've in the past successfully got the Passat panel (3AD907044Q) working in the golf mk5 (dual flap motors version). All was well until my recent condenser fault where it was slow leaking but I blamed my panel wiring for the compressor failing to work - so prior to taking it to a garage to have a look I reverted the wiring back to factory so I could reinstall my mk5 climatronic panel.

Sadly in the process the panel became seriously damaged as I put it in the boot and it somehow got lodged under something heavy...

No big deal I thought, let's get a new one, so I found a Scirocco panel to replace it (1K8907044J):

Car came back from the garage, vacuum tested and gassed up, mk5 panel makes the car ice cold so thought success was close. Prior to removing the mk5 panel again I set it on max heat and re-circulation off so as the fresh air intake flap motor would be left in fully open position when disconnected after.

The new panel lacks auto re-circulation but I just didn't rewire it back in and instead did a straight swap of pins 16 and 20 in Connector A.

Then went on to follow the usual instructions I did with the Passat panel...

These wires you’ll have to remove: 

Connector C / 16 pin       Brown  pin 9        white/ green       
Connector C / 16 pin       Brown  pin 10      yellow / green         
Connector B / 16 pin       Black    pin 7        grey / green         

These wires you’ll have to re-pin /change pin output

Connector C / 16 pin       Brown           pin 7        purple / yellow         - put this to PIN10 in the 16 pin Brown connector
Connector C / 16 pin       Brown           pin 8        blue / red                  - put this to PIN9 in the 16 pin Brown connector
Connector B / 16 pin       Black             pin 6        green / white            - put this to PIN7 in the 16 pin Black connector

So, after doing it, turned on the engine and held front air + AC as usual to do a panel re-calibration - then nothing. Blower/heater works but the radiator fans don't start up and the compressor doesn't either...

Connector A changes seem fine as it's retaining the settings on it between power cycling the car, but I suspect the fresh air flap isn't behaving so the compressor is refusing to spin up.

Any thoughts from anyone who has done the mk5 (twin flap motor) conversion to a newer panel, mk6/mk7/scirocco/passat - it shouldn't matter as the panels are all interchangable as much as I can see...

Just stumped as this worked first time using the Passat panel above and I sourced a 'rocco panel instead as it was the only one available at the time on ebay.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 08:14:29 pm by spicypixel »
Mk5 GT TDI 170 - MY2007

willni

Re: Mk5 to Mk7/Scirocco/Passat B8 climatronic retrofit
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 10:06:27 pm »
I've a Passat Control up for sale if you need part no. 3AA907044BQ

Offline spicypixel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 10:09:07 pm »
Yeah saw your sale post and replied there back when this was all working!
Did you not get it working yourself? Reason for sale?
Mk5 GT TDI 170 - MY2007

willni

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 07:30:20 am »
Yeah saw your sale post and replied there back when this was all working!
Did you not get it working yourself? Reason for sale?

Mine was straight plug and play no wiring changes (07 eddy) only selling because the colours didn't match the rest of the trim. Only difference is mine has the silver dials which could be a different revision which could mean why it worked straight out for me, ChristianK informed me with mine is only swapping 1 or 2 wires at most.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 07:38:11 am by willni »

Offline spicypixel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 07:51:32 pm »
Okay solved the mystery!
The panel is for a hybrid jetta, and being a hybrid seems to have an incompatible compressor configuration to a diesel/petrol Golf.

So for anyone looking to do this mod, avoid the 1K8907044J at all costs.
Mk5 GT TDI 170 - MY2007

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 09:13:36 pm »
If you take the panel from facelifted Scirocco (facelift panels match the wheels from Discover Media units)

Auto recirc and heated seats then these revision can be used if anyone is looking for panels :
AK, AC, BF and CE
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline rotek

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 07:04:42 pm »
Hello
i have a question, i have vw eos year 2008, gasoline, and i would like to have climatronic from golf 7. I have already bought a climatronic from golf 7 and tried plugging in but it doesn't work.  What do I have to do?  which cables do I need to reconnect?  will this work at all?  does the eos have a different frame than the golf 7?
Some people are saying that this is not a problem that will not work, and some that eos 1f have different communication like golf 7.

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 09:05:42 pm »
Hello
i have a question, i have vw eos year 2008, gasoline, and i would like to have climatronic from golf 7. I have already bought a climatronic from golf 7 and tried plugging in but it doesn't work.  What do I have to do?  which cables do I need to reconnect?  will this work at all?  does the eos have a different frame than the golf 7?
Some people are saying that this is not a problem that will not work, and some that eos 1f have different communication like golf 7.

you need to switch wires in A connector - Google it, been done lots of times :) Also if you should use Passat or Beetle panel and not Mk7 since it wont fit you frame.

If you have RCD 330 installed and not RNS buy a facelifted 1K8 Scirocco panel, it has same layout on adjustment buttons as your RCD330 has. Passat and Bettle have layout from RNS units.
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline rotek

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 12:30:37 pm »
I have already buy black metalic panel  of vw sciroco and climatronic of mk7.

I tried to cut the wire 20 and 19. I put 19 wire on 20, I saw this in one forum but it doesn't work.

I have already searched but nothing special found because I do not know what is really right and what is not.

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 10:34:50 am »
Stolen this picture from another forum but if Im right Im looking at a Mk5 with a Mk6 steering wheel, Tiguan 3D clocks and a Mk7/Scirocco/Passat/Beetle Climate Panel.

With regards to the latter, am I also right in thinking the only way they have got a panel surround for the Climate to look OEM is to have modified & painted a Scirocco one?

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ady-uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 01:12:27 pm »
That pic is exactly same as mine, apart from mine is RHD.
Anyway yes....

Get sirocco surround & chop the top off
Mk5 surround & chop the bottom off.
Then join the two together & repaint or wrap.

Also those clocks are NOT 3d....They're just flat but full colour
I have 3d full colour and the car graphic has perspective, car viewed looking from behind and above

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 01:17:20 pm by ady-uk »
VW Golf 2.0 Gtd 140 4motion (2005)
Factory fitted: xenons, sunroof, heated leather seats, fold in mirrors with downlights,
Custom: Mk6 steering wheel, updated gateway, RNS510 remote boot pop, LED lighting.

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 01:30:00 pm »
That pic is exactly same as mine, apart from mine is RHD.
Anyway yes....

Get sirocco surround & chop the top off
Mk5 surround & chop the bottom off.
Then join the two together & repaint or wrap.

Also those clocks are NOT 3d....They're just flat but full colour
I have 3d full colour and the car graphic has perspective, car viewed looking from behind and above

Good to know about the clocks, thanks. Im after the Facelift Scirocco R-Line clocks anyway which are like hens teeth unless you’ve got deep pockets!

Ive actually been sent a video by the guy who’s car that it is above and it shows how he custom made it which is a bit beyond my skill set.

Thanks for coming back to me, food for thought!

Rob

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 08:44:34 am »
If someone were to make these facias and sell them I reckon they'd have a good market and I'd certainly be willing to pay for one.

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 01:49:53 pm »
I also wish you could buy these trim surrounds off the shelf like you can for the Mk6 controls.

I am working towards getting my controls, Air quality sensor and single motor flaps fitted, but need to get the trim right first... My first attempt is coming along better than I thought it would.

Paint match on lower trim matches nicely I think.

Even got all the right fixings at the top.

I'm doing this as I think it looks the nicest out of all 3 Climatronic controls (mk5/mk6/mk7 style). I really dislike the heated seat controls on the mk5... a volume control with a number on it. I also wanted the controls to show on my RNS510, which the mk5 controls don't do.

Hopefully I won't mess it up.  :laugh:

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 02:03:43 pm by Stupots »
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2021, 12:26:16 pm »
I also wish you could buy these trim surrounds off the shelf like you can for the Mk6 controls.

I am working towards getting my controls, Air quality sensor and single motor flaps fitted, but need to get the trim right first... My first attempt is coming along better than I thought it would.

Paint match on lower trim matches nicely I think.

Even got all the right fixings at the top.

I'm doing this as I think it looks the nicest out of all 3 Climatronic controls (mk5/mk6/mk7 style). I really dislike the heated seat controls on the mk5... a volume control with a number on it. I also wanted the controls to show on my RNS510, which the mk5 controls don't do.

Hopefully I won't mess it up.  :laugh:

Did you end up finishing this and installing it?