Make a donation

Author Topic: Xenon headlight issue  (Read 1108 times)

Offline leemk5

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Xenon headlight issue
« on: September 11, 2018, 07:32:37 am »
Hi, I’ve noticed my headlights are dipped waaaay down and no longer do the initial sweep when switching them on, I had a friend read out the fault codes and I have a permanent fault for the adjustment motor in the passenger headlight.. has anyone come across this problem before? Do I just need a new motor or is it a new headlight??

Thanks for any help!

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 26
Re: Xenon headlight issue
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 11:12:15 am »
Hi there

First I would check the level sensor where it connects to the front n/s wishbone.  These are prone to breaking with age (normally the linkage which frustratingly you can't buy separately).

Mine did exactly the same earlier this year during a foul weather run at night giving me a beam pattern not much more use than a couple of candles...  A quick look/feel behind the wheel next morning confirmed a fractured linkage.  Fell on my feet with a poorly listed nearly new unit off eBay for not a lot of money, swapped over and all back to normal with sweep and useable lights.

If the front one is OK, there is another attached to the n/s trailing arm to check.

Hope this helps.
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline leemk5

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 03:19:18 pm »
Thanks for the info I’ll have a look, And did you get the ‘open circuit’ fault logged for the NSF headlamp motor?

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 06:09:12 pm »
I didn’t bother scanning with VCDS as I was sure it would be a broken levelling sensor given they had failed pointing down (when the linkage breaks it falls pulling the sensor arm down and triggering a signal that indicates the front of a the car is now higher than the rear - hence the beams pointing fully down).
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!