Make a donation

Author Topic: Nostalgic Post - original members of the forum  (Read 4577 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
Nostalgic Post - original members of the forum
« on: September 11, 2018, 01:56:59 pm »
Hi guys, I joined the forum in late 2010-early 2011 I think, had my ED30 for 8 years now.

A lot of people have of course moved on to other cars since then but was wondering what those people who still have their cars have been up to recently with their MK5?

My modding stopped a good few years ago now and back at Stage 1 but with all the uprated brakes and suspension of Sage 2+

Be good to hear how long people have had their MK5 for if over 5 years or so? Where is Red Robin these days? Surely he must still have his Red steed? TFSI Mike - what is your cupra up to these days? Hurdy what you driving? etc etc/

:drinking:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Nostalgic Post - original members of the forum
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 02:40:13 pm »
RedRobin's taking photos of birds  :signLOL:

I've still got my ED30. 10yrs old and 108k miles. Stopped modding about four years ago and just been visiting AKS for maintenance. Car still feels great to drive. But it's getting to that age where I've got to consider whether it's worth keeping now that various bits and bobs are starting to get wear and tear (rear R32 calipers starting to seize - do I replace with new or swap back to original GTi brakes?).

Now I spend £££ modding the house instead!  :laugh:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 08:23:00 pm »
Sold my gttdi 2 years ago and moved to a r32..
Hurdy has a 7r..

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 09:18:17 pm »
Had mine nearly 5 years and followed the same theme of going back to standard-ish after being underwhelmed by stage 2+.... and liking it just as much  :grin:

If the newer Golfs were a significant night/day improvement in driving dynamics, I would upgrade, but they’re not....imo.  MK5 > MK7 is certainly not the leap forward that MK4 > MK5 was!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 09:46:19 pm »
Good to hear chaps, I am enjoying stage 1 but miss the tbe sometimes but it’s still a pretty quick car with mikes 996tt brakes wavetrac diff and full suspension upgrades. I need a bigger car but can’t think about selling it as still only 74k so it’s just loosening up!

So I keep looking at getting another car as well - 335i touring, e46 m3 or e92 m3 but then can’t justify the two lots of tax insurance etc when, like stealth, things still need doing in the house! 

Offline suave

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 09:50:12 pm »
I’ve had my GTI now 8 years. On 144k and still going well.
Lots of fun to drive _ my kids mean I might not have another GTI for a while yet

This forum has been excellent over the years of ownership

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 10:34:55 pm »
I can't claim to be an original member of the forum, but I do remember yourself & redrobin. It was a good progression to here from mkivs.net. I joined here in 2012 when I bought my ED30 in October of that year with 47k on it. I'm still here - car is now on 93k, and I don't really want to change it, although I'd like something newer but can't justify the expense. I did think I'd go stage 2+, but in honesty Stage 1 is good enough most of the time on my commute! With upgraded brakes & suspension, it is a nicely improved car all round.

Things niggling me at the moment are the rusting wings & how bad the roads feel. Service is due in a month - think I will have a carbon clean done & it is the time for another DSG service. Fortunately the cambelt / DSG services seem to alternate on mine. I still expect a hefty bill when I go to APS next month!

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 07:50:09 am »
I can't claim to be an original member of the forum, but I do remember yourself & redrobin. It was a good progression to here from mkivs.net. I joined here in 2012 when I bought my ED30 in October of that year with 47k on it. I'm still here - car is now on 93k, and I don't really want to change it, although I'd like something newer but can't justify the expense. I did think I'd go stage 2+, but in honesty Stage 1 is good enough most of the time on my commute! With upgraded brakes & suspension, it is a nicely improved car all round.

Things niggling me at the moment are the rusting wings & how bad the roads feel. Service is due in a month - think I will have a carbon clean done & it is the time for another DSG service. Fortunately the cambelt / DSG services seem to alternate on mine. I still expect a hefty bill when I go to APS next month!

Hi Dave, good to hear I think you may have bought something off me? You can’t deny the thrills and advantages of stage 2 + but on a wet greasy road in certain conditions mine is now faster in 1st and second as wheels don’t spin up as much and you can be away cleaner, top end though in 6th it feels nowhere near as urgent when on WOT

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 08:12:21 am »
Good to see long standing members on the forum and joined here when the forum was a few months old in 2008

Offline gtipirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • Golf GTi Pirelli
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 11:51:01 am »
I joined in March 2009 just after getting my 6 month old Pirelli Edition. Still my daily driver and has just over 80k miles. Enjoyed every mile but like others, it is starting to get a bit more expensive at service time but still much cheaper to run than something new.

Due a cambelt change at next service and there were a few more than normal advisories at the recent MOT.

Have a Macan as our family car and it is pretty much our perfect garage, I just can’t help the fact that I want to swap the golf for a Cayman early next year but have a proper soft spot for the golf

Good to hear that a few of the old timers still run their golfs
Golf GTi Pirelli - Diamond Black, 5 Door - SOLD
now 718 Cayman S PDK

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 01:39:29 pm »
I joined in March 2009 just after getting my 6 month old Pirelli Edition. Still my daily driver and has just over 80k miles. Enjoyed every mile but like others, it is starting to get a bit more expensive at service time but still much cheaper to run than something new.

Due a cambelt change at next service and there were a few more than normal advisories at the recent MOT.

Have a Macan as our family car and it is pretty much our perfect garage, I just can’t help the fact that I want to swap the golf for a Cayman early next year but have a proper soft spot for the golf

Good to hear that a few of the old timers still run their golfs

Yeah there was an article in Evo where a few of the journo's had £40k or £60k to spend on three cars in a fantasy portfolio and a couple of them chose a MK5 Golf Gti as their daily and then splurged the rest on M cars or a 911 etc 

Thats how I feel about mine want something else but dont want to get rid of it either as more and more people stop you and ask if you are selling it can I take their number etc

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 02:24:02 pm »
I formally joined the forum in 2009 - a year after buying my GTI - having originally lurked around in the background.  Still have the car 10 years down the line and it has been my consistent daily driver.  I too fancy a Porsche but can't justify parting with the Golf.  It continues to get admiring glances and positive comments wherever it goes, and we've been through all sorts of life events together.

Back when I first got it in 2008, one of my mates asked for first refusal if I ever sold it - he's still patiently waiting! :grin:
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 193
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 02:50:34 pm »
I think I joined in 2011 and Im on my 5th and final MK5, currently up for sale.

Been learning a lot about these cars, started a Retrofit service where people dont get ripped off but no moved on from that since my day job has taken over my life now

Offline gtipirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • Golf GTi Pirelli
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 02:59:57 pm »
Amazing how these cars get under your skin. They tick every box escpecially the special edition ones with the K04 turbo after a remap. The speed of these things still surprise modern cars.

There is a good argument to spend a few grand on mine but it still won’t take away the annoying rattles and squeaks and old tech that you dont get on the modern stuff.

First world problems - that Cayman is calling me loudly 😀
Golf GTi Pirelli - Diamond Black, 5 Door - SOLD
now 718 Cayman S PDK

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 08:43:06 pm »
Amazing how these cars get under your skin. They tick every box escpecially the special edition ones with the K04 turbo after a remap. The speed of these things still surprise modern cars.

There is a good argument to spend a few grand on mine but it still won’t take away the annoying rattles and squeaks and old tech that you dont get on the modern stuff.

First world problems - that Cayman is calling me loudly 😀
Almost all new tech can be retrofittd to our mk5s if you have some knowhow or good contacts hehe.. Swap to BCM (takes a weekend to do) then a whole new world opens up :)

- KESSY
- ACC
- Lane Assist
- Active TPMS
- Side Assist
- High Beam Assist
- Adjustable suspension
- Discover Media
- PLA
- PDC
- RWC
- Rear brake assist
- Front brake assist (emergency brake/city brake)

:party:
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button