Make a donation

Author Topic: Nostalgic Post - original members of the forum  (Read 4580 times)

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 62
  • "Every great journey starts with a single step.."
Re: Nostalgic Post - original members of the forum
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 11:21:22 pm »
Joined in July 2010 when I had my Shadow Blue mk5 GTI.  Now driving a Steel Grey mk6 R.  Learnt plenty off here over the years.

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 07:03:01 am »
Had mine nearly 5 years and followed the same theme of going back to standard-ish after being underwhelmed by stage 2+.... and liking it just as much  :grin:

If the newer Golfs were a significant night/day improvement in driving dynamics, I would upgrade, but they’re not....imo.  MK5 > MK7 is certainly not the leap forward that MK4 > MK5 was!

I agree. 2 years now in a MK7 PP from my edition 30. My wife was talking only yesterday how she misses both my MK5's. Says she felt a lot safer in them. I remember my move from MK4 to the 5 GTI. Wow. I still maintain that VW will never achieve that again with the current model. Groundbreaking. It all now seems like natural progression. Bucketlist is to own a MK4 R32 in Reflex silver.
Got the call from I think Cocopops in 2009 to join the forum.

Gulf

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 09:01:11 am »
Had mine nearly 5 years and followed the same theme of going back to standard-ish after being underwhelmed by stage 2+.... and liking it just as much  :grin:

If the newer Golfs were a significant night/day improvement in driving dynamics, I would upgrade, but they’re not....imo.  MK5 > MK7 is certainly not the leap forward that MK4 > MK5 was!

I agree. 2 years now in a MK7 PP from my edition 30. My wife was talking only yesterday how she misses both my MK5's. Says she felt a lot safer in them. I remember my move from MK4 to the 5 GTI. Wow. I still maintain that VW will never achieve that again with the current model. Groundbreaking. It all now seems like natural progression. Bucketlist is to own a MK4 R32 in Reflex silver.

Gulf

Yeah, I think about getting another Golf too as went from MK3 8v to Edition 30 so have considered a MK 4 R32 or a Mk6 R, the problem with either is that if got another car I could do with it being more practical than the Golf ie 335i touring, s4 avant.

Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=m0j6ucmn12f5d1l9vr659r1ii7&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 10:05:38 am »
Still knocking about in my Edition 30... Had it 8 years now. Its on about 123K miles.  :smiley:

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2018, 12:11:21 pm »
Still knocking about in my Edition 30... Had it 8 years now. Its on about 123K miles.  :smiley:

wow thats some mileage. i would take mine off the road and store it but lets be honest they are never going to go up enough to cover the annual storage costs at a proper facility

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 02:02:16 pm »
joined October 30, 2008 (!) nearly 10 yrs ago.
sold my Mk5 Edition 30 at 116,000 miles (from new with me as the only owner) just a few months ago
now driving a mk6 Edition 35 ...
forum still rocks
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2018, 05:07:07 pm »
joined October 30, 2008 (!) nearly 10 yrs ago.
sold my Mk5 Edition 30 at 116,000 miles (from new with me as the only owner) just a few months ago
now driving a mk6 Edition 35 ...
forum still rocks

i remember your name john as one of the first i recall, as i read the reviews you did on a few bits loads of times, really informative

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2018, 12:16:54 pm »

Gulf

100% mate.  The MK5 was a complete ground-up rework of the Golf and boy did VW get it so right  :happy2:  I know some folk aren't nostalgic about cars and like to have the newest and latest things, and perhaps didn't gel with their with Johnny 5s, but imo there is nothing wrong with preferring a MK5 to a MK7.  People like what they like  :happy2:

Don't get me wrong, the MK7.5 is a lovely place to be in, very refined and notable improvements to the interior quality over the MK5.....but if you get it up on a ramp, you will see the same basic underpinnings that hark back to it's older brother.  Don't fix what isn't broken  :happy2:

I had a lovely MK4 R32 for a year.  <50K miles, super mint.  I upgraded the lower seat cushions to the 3 partition US spec ones because they don't suffer from the baggy leather issue the UK spec Koenigs did.  I absolutely loved that interior and the car felt super solid on the road, but sadly the fun ended in the corners!   The MK5 R32 is waaaaaaay better to drive, but they made minimal effort on it compared to the MK4.  Really great cars and definitely worthy of classic status in years to come  :happy2:

If you want to get a MK4, give me a shout as I know them like the back of my hand  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D