Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear USB install?  (Read 2009 times)

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Rear USB install?
« on: September 16, 2018, 08:56:51 pm »
Hey guys,  has anyone fitted a usb adapter mod in the rear of the car? Maybe in the rear part of the arm rest so the rear passengers can charge there phones or power tablets?

Whenever I go on long trips I find I have to use long usb cables to run from the front cigarette socket to the rear so my kid can charge his tablet and watch films.
I've seen on ebay you can buy 2.1amp dual usb sockets and was thinking to cut a hole in the rear arm rest somewhere to fit it then scotch lock the wires from.the front cigarette socket to power it.

Offline gtipirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • Golf GTi Pirelli
    • Email
Re: Rear USB install?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 10:28:06 pm »
I have a cigarette lighter type socket in the boot only a few feet away from the rear drivers side passenger seat that we used to use for our daughters phone/tablet charging. A one metre iPhone cable worked quite well. It is closer than the one in the front centre dashboard

Sorry can’t help with the specific question above
Golf GTi Pirelli - Diamond Black, 5 Door - SOLD
now 718 Cayman S PDK

Offline Chris_R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 11:54:13 pm »
Neater, and you wouldn't have to cut a hole in the trim just leave the cable tucked out the way. Stick the square module inside the arm rest plastic so it doesn't rattle about.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-Converter-Module-12V-To-5V-USB-Output-Power-Adapter-3A-15W-VP/163159738757?epid=1864527792&hash=item25fd140985:g:M6QAAOSwxblbMudv

Can just wire it to a 12V feed - just get a piggy back fuse and a bit of wire to the length you need.

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 12:11:43 pm »
Arm rest plastic? I think the golf inside is a piss poor design really. I mean theres an ash tray in my rear drivers side door but not rear cigarette lighter.. an there's cup holders that you don't really need.
I think I'm gonna run two thick wires from the front cigarette socket and then down the centre console then cut a circle in the rear arm rest and fit the one I pictured. Will be a permanent solution and I'm sure "pimp my ride" would have do that
 Lol