Make a donation

Author Topic: Couple of issues  (Read 4996 times)

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Couple of issues
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 03:33:50 pm »
Just another update on this.

Sent injectors away to r-tech and should have then back tomorrow or Thursday nothing adverse to report so I will update again once refitted etc.

I will be starting another thread on my own update page as I have some good pics of the state of my inlet valves etc...before and after cleaning(shockingly bad prior to clean). I also have decided to do the runner flap delete purely because the manifold is off and I will be going BT at some point soon. May change my throttle pipe to forge or something as it looks tired and pretty weak.

I have the car in bits just now stripped the cam cover and chain housing to fit the new parts. Will have all this on my other page with a description and pics of how I cleaned the valves myself with no shotblasting etc....came up pretty good if I do say so. Oh and I'm heading down south for an R-tech mapping session if all is well...i.e no miss.

I'll update this again once running.

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2018, 04:17:31 pm »
I’d be very interested in your impressions on drivability / response after the RFD, even without remapping. I know people tend to do RFD for flow when chasing @400bhp however for those of us with more modest tuning I struggle to see how two sets of throttle valves can help response.

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 10:35:07 pm »
I’d be very interested in your impressions on drivability / response after the RFD, even without remapping. I know people tend to do RFD for flow when chasing @400bhp however for those of us with more modest tuning I struggle to see how two sets of throttle valves can help response.

No problem mate I'll keep it updated. Injectors didnt arrive today amd I had drama with the cam chain adjuster bolt..well more specifically the 10mm polydrive used to remove it...

Ordered another should be here tomorrow for a second go....the bolt is fine and i recovered the broken part. Only using this Laser polydrive as my mate in VW is in oz for weeks...what a selfish guy he is eh...another laser number from amazon arriving tmoro...wish me luck and il keep it updated...going a little off topic here apologies.

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 12:42:20 pm »
Right another update on this.

I've just had my injectors reconned/tested however u want to call it from R-Tech. Great job from them again very pleased. I have also just done my intake valve clean and RFD.

Right....i still have the miss at idle which was only on cylinder 2. It's now doing it on cylinder 3 randomly as well. I'm going to retake all the packs out and change them all as weird as it is I think I've fitted swapped two guff ones...twice. I hope it's my stupidity that's doing this as it's not the injectors or compression issue.....gotta be these crappy packs which are relatively new... I know packs are notorious but I've swapped them before (cylinder to cylinder not new) with no change...new plugs as well :thinking:...gotta be the packs now they have been manhandled about.

Side note the car runs great and you never feel or log a miss when under load only at idle.

Done my valve clean, RFD and sorted a small air leak.. car feels amazing...whether it's the valve clean, RFD or both it's made a hell of a difference. I would highly recommend this if a lot of miles on the car.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2018, 07:01:04 pm »
Is it missing/lumpy all of the time, or just when cold?  RFD does apparently cause cold start roughness, but should smooth out when hot.

Glad to hear it's driving better  :happy2:

Keep us posted on the misfire.  I'm not convinced cleaning the injectors does a lot personally, and it's certainly not a long term fix.   I'd be interested to know if R-Tech test them properly with varying PWMs across the full pressure range of 45 - 130 bar.  If not, it's kinda pointless imo.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2018, 02:54:24 pm »
Is it missing/lumpy all of the time, or just when cold?  RFD does apparently cause cold start roughness, but should smooth out when hot.

Glad to hear it's driving better  :happy2:

Keep us posted on the misfire.  I'm not convinced cleaning the injectors does a lot personally, and it's certainly not a long term fix.   I'd be interested to know if R-Tech test them properly with varying PWMs across the full pressure range of 45 - 130 bar.  If not, it's kinda pointless imo.
The car was spot on after the RFD and inlet clean...started roughish the first time obv but straight after that it started and ran fine. The miss was still there at idle but that was there pre RFD. I ran the car for 2 days without modifying any software for the RFD and it started and ran MUCH better than it did previously....combination of valve clean, injector clean RFD? made the car much much better either way. Didn't even get rough idle tbh. Only had two fault codes both caused by the RFD but no EML. I can guarantee that quite a lot of MK5 cold starts and crap initial running when cold is partially down to gunked up inlet valves since doing mine the car starts and runs perfect when cold.. it's night and day.

Now I went to R-Tech couple days ago for a custom map. Very very happy with the results. I will put this up on my own members page however with dyno results etc. The miss on cylinder 2 is still there at idle. I have had no misses through driving or any under load scenario. You wldn't have known it had a miss if you weren't monitoring on VCDS etc.

Car runs completely different on R-Tech map...even on start up and idle...again it's night and day but will post all this on my members ride thread.

As for the injector clean...tbh mate I didn't dive that deep into what equipment they use or to what spec/method...if they have a service that can test and partially clean them plus give me peace of mind they are in good order I was happy with that. I'm pretty sure if the injector was fckd then they wld have picked that up and that is what they were mainly sent down for..inlet clean and injector recon made sense as it was a bit of an investigation at the same time. I have no idea what method they use but I do have the printout of the results with the test equipment used and test results with flow rates and spray patterns etc...il stick it up later for people to nosey or compare and see what you think

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2018, 11:18:27 am »
Mine's alway been a good starter, before and after inlet clean. No change. In all honesty, I noticed absolutely nothing after the valve clean  :grin:  Maybe mine wasn't as gunked up as other peoples, not sure.

Sounds like yours needs some deeper troubleshooting.  The compression test came back good, the injectors are done, the inlets are cleaned up.....and it's still misfiring!  Have you checked plug 2 recently to see if it's the same colour as the other 3?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2018, 04:06:34 pm »
Mine's alway been a good starter, before and after inlet clean. No change. In all honesty, I noticed absolutely nothing after the valve clean  :grin:  Maybe mine wasn't as gunked up as other peoples, not sure.

Sounds like yours needs some deeper troubleshooting.  The compression test came back good, the injectors are done, the inlets are cleaned up.....and it's still misfiring!  Have you checked plug 2 recently to see if it's the same colour as the other 3?

Yeah mate it's pretty weird I might just change all packs and plugs again see what happens. What mileage did you do your valve clean and was it summer or winter? If it was as gunked up as mine you would prob have remembered as it was bad. I did do the RFD at the same time tho so hard to pin point what made the difference. Yeah my car was always good in the summer but in the winter in Scotland when very cold you did notice a rougher start(always starts just a slightly rough/restricted initial running) you must be extremely lucky to have never had any roughish starts in a mk5. Now tho it's night and day and it's getting cold up here...zero roughness at all now and throttle is spot on but the R-Tech map has it running different...in a good way.

Cant load any pics at the moment photobucket is crap and won't work...anybody got any suggestions for another pic sharing app?