Make a donation

Author Topic: Couple of issues  (Read 5004 times)

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Couple of issues
« on: September 25, 2018, 02:13:36 pm »
I have a slight miss on cylinder 2 at idle. Don't notice it while driving and it doesn't count enough to register an EML

I've changed the plugs and packs to rule that out. I have an issue with oil in the chamber also as there was some oil on the combustion side of the plug...not drenched but on the thread mostly however some was on the electrode..thght that was my issue but changed the plug and same...swapped packs etc no joy.

For background my turbo is passing a little so I'm gonna check the inlet and or intercooler pipe closest to the inlet to see if there is excessive oil and see if that is potentially my oil issue...im going to change cam cover gasket..pack side of plug is dry but replacing anyway.

Checked vcds and hpfp/fuel rail pressure seems ok...req 50bar  actual 50bar....im assuming is ok. Can't find the block for injector quantity?

I'm getting a shot of a compression tester this week to check for the worst in case it's something more sinister.

I think the injector may be seeping also....i get the miss at idle. Also on cold starts in the morning the first 30 secs of driving is hesitant...like burning excess fuel when cold??

Any ideas or common related issues...apologies for the long post.

Cheers

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
Re: Couple of issues
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 02:21:09 pm »
could be the carbon build up on the valves, as the engine is a direct injection.
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 03:40:54 pm »
BG44K should clear the injectors. Mine was getting slow to catch in the mornings and the idle was a bit uneven however the additive cleared that pretty quickly.

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 12:35:09 am »
could be the carbon build up on the valves, as the engine is a direct injection.
BG44K should clear the injectors. Mine was getting slow to catch in the mornings and the idle was a bit uneven however the additive cleared that pretty quickly.

Cheers for the replies.

@mjmallia your right  I'm due to clean them as a matter of course as I suspect they are gummed up a bit with just over 100k now.

@colesey I might give this a bash for the sake of £20 had a nosey online may be a good shout.

Right next thing...if it is the injector and it doesn't clean thru...what injectors am I sticking in for an upgrade?..all 4 obviously..the car has been sidelined as my toy so it is going tte420 at some point but wasn't planning on doing the injectors if I didn't need to. And if it is ttrs/rs3/rs4 can these be run with my current stage 2+ Apr map with no issues...i have loba hpfp, RS4 Rtn valve but no upgraded lpfp yet.

Cheers

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 08:20:10 am »
BG44K won't fix the injector, they need removing, flow testing and proper cleaning, if they can be salvaged at all. If its bad enough to cause a persist ant misfire then get them done sooner rather than later

Your standard injectors are fine for a TTE420 - only need a FPRV to up the fuel pressure as the 136Bar item you have now won't be enough, and no you cannot run different injectors without a suitable map, which you won't get from APR
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 08:25:07 am by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 10:20:51 am »
BG44K won't fix the injector, they need removing, flow testing and proper cleaning, if they can be salvaged at all. If its bad enough to cause a persist ant misfire then get them done sooner rather than later

Your standard injectors are fine for a TTE420 - only need a FPRV to up the fuel pressure as the 136Bar item you have now won't be enough, and no you cannot run different injectors without a suitable map, which you won't get from APR

Cheers mate, I'm getting a price from vw this morning on an injector...hate just changing one tho because you know another will go soon after and thats the inlet off again etc...pricey for all 4 right enough would rather not need to obviously..think I will get one injector and run that bg44k through the originals before I change it over for the sake of £20 unless it's detrimental in some way not really looked into it yet.

Yeah I thought you would prob need to map round it just curious if the ecu or software was enough to compensate on these...anybody know what block on vcds I can check the injectors on...scrolled through but may have missed it?

Cheers

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 11:10:01 am »
Best of pulling your injectors out and sending them all for testing and re-sealing, this option would still be cheaper than a new injector...  :happy2:

Then you have peace of mind all 4 are good for another load of miles... :driver:
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 01:13:06 pm »
You can't log for or test for an injector imbalance. You'll get some short term fuel trim adaption going on but that could also be caused by a multitude of things.

Get all 4 out and sent off for testing, cleaning and balancing. It's around the £125 mark if I remember rightly - R-Tech offer this service and fit/provide new seals. Worth getting all 4 tested though without a doubt
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 06:49:51 pm »
You can't log for or test for an injector imbalance. You'll get some short term fuel trim adaption going on but that could also be caused by a multitude of things.

Get all 4 out and sent off for testing, cleaning and balancing. It's around the £125 mark if I remember rightly - R-Tech offer this service and fit/provide new seals. Worth getting all 4 tested though without a doubt

Cheers lads, didn't know r-tech done that I will be phoning tomorrow to find out sounds like what I'm after, much better option.

Hmm wld have been good to have something on vcds that points to the injector for confirmation but at approx £125 to do all 4 when the inlets off anyway sounds ideal.

Doing my compression test tomorrow so I will see what that turns up as well for my other issue.

Cheers again good suggestions never thought about getting them reconned.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 03:44:57 pm »
For reference, I compression tested mine last summer and saw 14 bar across all 4, it's done 125K miles.   14-15 bar is the spec for a new engine, so I was very surprised by that.  Maybe the previous owner blew it up and put a new motor in  :grin:

I hate to say it mate, but oil fouling in just one cylinder isn't a good sign.  Let's hope you see some encouraging numbers from your compression test.   Try it hot and cold and see what the difference is.  It's probably wise to pull the fuel pump fuses and crank it for 10 seconds per cylinder with the throttle fully open.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 01:26:00 am »
For reference, I compression tested mine last summer and saw 14 bar across all 4, it's done 125K miles.   14-15 bar is the spec for a new engine, so I was very surprised by that.  Maybe the previous owner blew it up and put a new motor in  :grin:

I hate to say it mate, but oil fouling in just one cylinder isn't a good sign.  Let's hope you see some encouraging numbers from your compression test.   Try it hot and cold and see what the difference is.  It's probably wise to pull the fuel pump fuses and crank it for 10 seconds per cylinder with the throttle fully open.

Cheers mate thanks for your readings of what to expect as that was another question. Long story short not got round to it yet I left the golf in a friend's garage and I'm away with work. I did give a bit of a crap description thinking about it recently...there is oil on all plugs but more excessive cylinders 1 and 2. I jumped the gun and assumed that was the cause of the miss but it wasn't...suspected leaky injector as above.

I will check the compression as soon as I'm home...still hoping it's the turbo but we will see...i''ll post my findings

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 03:45:08 pm »
Sure it's definitely oil on the electrode and not just soot?  If a couple of plugs are darker, that can indeed point to an injector imbalance.

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 04:07:35 pm »
Sure it's definitely oil on the electrode and not just soot?  If a couple of plugs are darker, that can indeed point to an injector imbalance.

No mate it was unfortunately definitely oil on the threads and electrode...not a lot but enough. But yes two were darker...i think this is two problems.

I'm still overseas so won't know for a while.

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 08:48:58 pm »
Just an update on this now I'm home.

Done my comp test....well happy and relieved! 13bar across them all and almost to the exact psi...all cylinders built pressure pretty similar no major differences there either....thank fu€¥

Also found my air leak with the intake....turbo inlet pipe wasn't sealed well enough(the part that requires cutting un shockingly) dealt with that..air leak /sucking noise(not turbo) has gone and the response is back....again thank fu£k

Still have the slight miss at idle but I'm putting that down to injector imbalance...getting whipped out and posted to R tech this week.

Will update again when I get them back see if it cures it if people have had similar issues.

Meant to add, The oil on the plugs I believe is coming from my cam cover gasket leaking..mainly between cylinders 2 and 3 and is gradually seeping down the thread of the plug...cam cover gasket...cam chain and tensioner...inlet valve clean all getting done in the one go hopefully next week...ordering the VW tools so I can smash it all at once...likely do the belt as well...feckn delighted no comp issues and can get back to maintenance.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 08:53:41 pm by csrigo »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 07:52:19 pm »
Good news  :happy2: