Make a donation

Author Topic: Gearbox  (Read 4745 times)

Offline amanda

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 13
Gearbox
« on: October 02, 2018, 01:42:49 pm »
So how long does a gearbox last on a gti????............or it the proverbial how long is a piece of string question???

Took my gti into my main dealer who I completely trust and have been looking after the car for years for an mot.
Sad to say they have now sent me a video showing the gearbox spewing out gearbox oil and informing me it’s an mot fail due to new rules.

Looks like I have 4 options
1....scrap!
2....2nd hand replacement
3....rebuild with increasing costs depending on what’s found
4....exchange unit with set costs

Any advice appreciated 🤭

Offline Rigsby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 8
Re: Gearbox
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 05:15:19 pm »
Sounds a bit odd? Spewing out from where?
Second hand box cAn be had for £300

Offline AntzGti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 07:34:52 pm »
Does sound odd.

If your gearbox was "spewing out oil" in all likelihood it would have run out of oil by now and probably either sized or started to sound like a cement mixer and would be almost impossible to make any smooth gear changes...

Unless you are really unlucky and hit something on the way to the garage and caused the damage

Has anyone else been working on the car recently and maybe been lazy and jacked up the front if the car using the gearbox as the support for the trolley jack....

Have they confirmed the source of the leak, is it the main casing, or is it leaking from the end cover of one of the driveshaft flanges???

Gearboxes are not that pricey for a Mk5 Gti so a good secondhand unit is an option, if you really do need a completely new gearbox

Offline amanda

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 01:33:13 pm »
No nothing hit as no one but my dealer works on her.
I have decided not to go 2nd hand as she is my daily works bitch and I need a fully reliable car.
However I have just received another vid showing the duel mass flywheel is also sh*gged and on its way out.......................

I know audi have had problems with duel mass clutches  :fighting: does anyone know if Vw have had the same????

Offline AntzGti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 09:23:07 am »
Hi,

DMF will "fail" at some point as its actually 2 plates glued together with a heavy duty rubber bond.

The idea behind DMF is to isolate engine vibrations from the car, and that bond between the 2 plates acts as a mini shock absorber.

Over time (and dependant on how the car is driven) the rubber sandwich material degrades to the point that the 2 plates can move independently of each pother by several inches. At this point the DMF is no longer doing its job as designed, and this can be felt through the clutch pedal, and in the worse cases can be heard as a rattle coming from the region of the flywheel/clutch area.

This is a good video on DMF issues:

Regards

Antony

Offline amanda

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 04:30:51 pm »
Thank you Antony...........my flywheel is worse than that because it won’t catch the spring and it goes further than 8 notches also!!!!!! The vid the dealer sent me is confirming the you tube clip you posted  :signLOL:
I guess gearbox has been going for a while and I have probably adapted gear changes ........I will say reverse has always been a bitch to get  :evilgrin:
However thinking about it yesterday the car sounded really really rough but I put it down to the cold morning ................

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 01:30:39 pm »
As above, it's important to know where the oil is leaking from, and is it DSG or Manual?

If it's just a worn seal, that is cheap and easy.  If it's a smashed or cracked casing, it's new gearbox time.   A new manual box from VW will set you back around £2K, maybe more these days.  DSG, considerably more I expect!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline amanda

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 03:01:23 pm »
Pudding it’s cracked housing at the bottom and it’s manual not dsg  :star:

I have bitten the bullet and authorised new gearbox and flywheel to be fitted by dealer........they have given me a seriously good discount and the car will come back next week with a full 2 yrs warranty and a fresh mot.
I now however have taken to drink to cloud my decision of going down that route!!!!!  :signLOL: :rolleye:p

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 03:31:07 pm »
Pics! We need pics  :smiley:    The only time I've seen that happen in the manual is when a diff crown wheel rivet let go and punched a hole in the casing.  Very rare!

Yeah you can get some surprising discounts if you push them.  Some of the bigger parts have much better discount codes than the smaller bread and butter stuff, such as driveshafts, engine blocks, gearboxes etc.

I admire your staying power  :happy2:   Have a few JDs!!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline amanda

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 05:07:59 pm »
As above, it's important to know where the oil is leaking from, and is it DSG or Manual?

If it's just a worn seal, that is cheap and easy.  If it's a smashed or cracked casing, it's new gearbox time.   A new manual box from VW will set you back around £2K, maybe more these days.  DSG, considerably more I expect!

Oh bye the way you are seriously out on the cost of a new manual gearbox  :thinking: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

Offline amanda

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 05:08:03 pm »
It is a cracked gearbox on the bottom but sadly I am struggling to grab a screen shot from dealer vid

Offline AntzGti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 07:58:03 pm »
I see you have bitten the bullet, and downed several large JD's to numb the pain of the bill....

Car must be very special to throw a brand new gearbox at it plus a new DMF & clutch...........  :rolleye:

Good luck & hope this is the last of any major surprises cost wise for you

Regards

Antony

Offline horsemeat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 12:05:33 pm »
Good for you for sticking with it!

But I've got to ask.... How much is a brand new gearbox?!

Offline amanda

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 03:03:05 pm »
Good for you for sticking with it!

But I've got to ask.... How much is a brand new gearbox?!

Fitted as in just gearbox ??????

Offline horsemeat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 08:46:17 pm »
Yeah just the actual gearbox itself!