Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk7 GTI OEM suspension on Mk5 GTI ?? Help  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Vavlas

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: Mk5 2.0 GTI 2007
Mk7 GTI OEM suspension on Mk5 GTI ?? Help
« on: October 09, 2018, 07:22:43 am »
So hi to all of you.
I have been reading this forum for a while, since I bought my mk5 GTI.
 It came already with stage 1 remap and some unknown intake kit.
 So I have decided to make some small mods on the intake,exhaust, and must replace parts for stage 1. The previous owner only did a remap and intake, so there is still little work there.

My first problem - Suspension

My stock suspension was good when I bought the car . But my wild driving has ruined it in 6 months. So my golf is now uncomfortable, bouncing a lot, and uneven stand of the car can tell me that I have ruined the springs too.

And one of my friends tell me one day that his friend has a complete OEM suspension from his mk7 GTi (Springs and shocks). And that it can fit my mk5 GTI 2007 just plug out and in. I don't know if that's possible.
 So all info would be appreciated. Thanx in advance

An I would like to say that you are verry helpful group, I mean this forum.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 09:20:59 am by Vavlas »
Sometimes those corners feel like they are the last ones 😂

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Mk7 GTI OEM suspension on Mk5 GTI ?? Help
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 03:41:22 pm »
Not sure how you ruined the car but Mk5's are getting old and most will want some suspension TLC and new parts to get that factory feel back. After replacing mine with OEM quality parts like Bilstein's and an H&R lowering spring set the car changed dramatically. Personally I am not even sure a Mk7 set will fit. The springs and damper settings will all be different, the weight and dynamics of the car will be different and you could end up worse off but more knowledgeable people can answer that point. Mk5's it seems have a habit of eating the tops of the rear springs and snapping the odd front one too after extended use.

I would fix the current set with parts designed for the Mk5 platform and get some new shocks and springs. You probably want to check the bushes around the front wishbones and swinging arms as they could be shot as well.

Rip.
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline Vavlas

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 06:53:11 pm »
Well it was just a thought. I have ruined my suspension when I was home for 3 months , verry bad roads in Croatia.
But I also have some good shocks and springs from Mk6 and as I was be able to Google it , they fit 99.99%  or?

And I am considering to buy bilstein b4 shocks or koni ones for mk5, which one are better for daily drive with crazy drive sometimes mixture 😆
I really love the way my GTi handles at stock suspension , maybe I dont know for better but this is really holding in corners at high speeds like glue . And tyres are always continenals new.

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 10:40:32 pm »
I have B4's and H&R lowering springs. Personally if the roads are that bad I would just use the B4's and standard springs. I have enough trouble on bumpy roads with that clearance as it is in the UK ... all those sleeping policemen (road humps)  :smiley:

Dont spend more than you have to. Its gonna get wrecked again probably.
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline Vavlas

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 12:15:02 pm »
So the b4 are good you say .
Well roads are bad in Croatia , but i live and work in Germany, here the roads are perfect.
I'll try the B4 with normal springs cause I love comfort , I don't want to go low because that equals uncomfortable car the lower it goes. I hate bouncing all the time