Make a donation

Author Topic: Exhausted exhaust  (Read 1119 times)

Offline AliGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
Exhausted exhaust
« on: October 10, 2018, 07:55:09 pm »
Good evening all. The other day my 130000 mile exhaust starting blowing quite badly. I have the engine managment light showing a bank 1 to lean code,   substantial loss of power and it's drinking fuel like water. I went to a local well known big  chain, but not the biggest for quickness and eesiness. Left it with them to diagnose the problem. They called a while later to say it was my catalytic converter but the rest looked in poor-ish shape to, given the age. It was decided the best  course of action was a whole new system, saving on labour cost over doing bits at time. Also came with a good warranty for a full system. Next we got onto price. Keep in mind we're talking about an OEM system here. The quote was £1400 fitted inc VAT. Well I neadly fell off my perch. Not an option!

I've never even considered a custom exhaust and after that quote I was even less inclined. How could a custom job possibly be cheaper?? I've always associated them as boy-racer ish and just not me. How ever after speaking to a car mate he said ask about for some quotes, they don't need to be loud and obnoxious and MOT failing. So I'm booked in for tomorrow morning to see what's what.

The point of this post os to ask you ladies and gents what I can expect to be asked, so I can have a think about what I want. Also the nice man at the custom place said he could do it hundreds cheaper and their Facebook page has heaps of great reviews. Should I be suspicious about custom being cheaper? Also what price from your experience should I be looking at for a full system? I really liked how the OEM sounded but if they could make it sound a little more......what's the word?

Offline omar2222

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Exhausted exhaust
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 09:40:57 pm »
You can buy OEM exhaust parts from Euro car parts. I'm sure the whole exhaust system won't be completely finished, a good welder can fix most of it.  You can get a used system off eBay and a used cat. Or alternatively a backbox custom supply and fit is about £150 from an exhaust place. Whereabouts are you in the country

Offline minty7815

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 10:46:22 am »
I have the same issue. Eurocar parts do not stock Mk5 GTi exhausts and so I've bought one off ebay (new) for £91 from Getract. having it fitted on Monday so will let you know how I get on.

Offline AliGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 11:17:57 am »
I took mine in to have it's issue fixed this morning. The guy took me under the car to see the problem to find it's a connection at the turbo. The new £1400 exhaust wouldn't even have fixed the problem. All it needs is a new clamp.

Offline minty7815

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 02:47:49 pm »
Got a new exhaust from Getract on ebay, admittedly it's not the last word in quality but it was £91 and fits just fine. Will take it for a hoon and let you all know how it drives. If it gets me through winter and the rest of the restoration I'll be happy. Then I can get a custom SS exhaust done next year.