Make a donation

Author Topic: Bolt dropped behind Door skin  (Read 1876 times)

willni

Bolt dropped behind Door skin
« on: October 14, 2018, 08:56:23 pm »
Is it possible to slightly open the bottom of the doorskin to get a dropped bolt out? or is it a case of removing the whole skin?

Offline Carpy25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 40
    • Email
Re: Bolt dropped behind Door skin
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 09:14:07 pm »
I doubt if you will get a wide enough gap to get a bolt out and the skin is very thin you risk bending it is it a case of you need the bolt ? Buy another or is it rattling about and annoying you if so try stopping the rattle with a magnet 👍🏼

Rob

willni

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 09:21:53 pm »
I doubt if you will get a wide enough gap to get a bolt out and the skin is very thin you risk bending it is it a case of you need the bolt ? Buy another or is it rattling about and annoying you if so try stopping the rattle with a magnet 👍🏼

Rob

Thanks! More trying to find and stop rattles, I'll just wait 2 weeks until I take it off the road for winter and dismantle it.

4ndy

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 06:59:04 pm »

Rob

Thanks! More trying to find and stop rattles, I'll just wait 2 weeks until I take it off the road for winter and dismantle it.
Do you know the screws holding the skins on are of different thread lengths. They replacing correctly

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 03:09:47 pm »
Indeed  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

willni

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 08:38:07 pm »
Do you know the screws holding the skins on are of different thread lengths. They replacing correctly
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up! Will be getting a bolt organiser for the job

4ndy

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 08:54:26 pm »

Thanks for the heads up! Will be getting a bolt organiser for the job
[/quote]There's a high spec screw organiser in the vid Mr Pudding posted above :happy2:

willni

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 10:36:20 pm »
There's a high spec screw organiser in the vid Mr Pudding posted above :happy2:

Knowing my luck I'd accidentally kick that space age tech lol, are the window seals easily enough changed? Rear back door window is letting in a little moisture so would be a good time of year for me to change it too, the windows seem to be able to be pushed in about 1-3 mm which is worrying.