Make a donation

Author Topic: Chuck Money At It Or Buy Another?  (Read 3476 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Chuck Money At It Or Buy Another?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 05:07:50 pm »
I think its a keeper. I've looked at some mk6s and I do personally like the looks plus they're rare - I hardly ever seen any mk6 GTIs vs mk5s and mk7s. Does everything I need of it as a daily but can jump into it on a weekend and just have a good old blast.

I have driven both mk6/mk7 gti’s (courtesy cars from dealers when mine goes in)while they are lovely to look at, I find them extremely bland and boring. I take great delight in taking them back and telling service if they get a car that is as good to look at as the mk6/7 but has the driving ability of the Mk5 .......I would be first in queue to order it. :evilgrin:

Certainly in the case of the MK7, bland (to drive) is definitely the right word  :smiley:  All of the interior accoutrements are standard issue digital bores no one needs.  The soft furnishings and plastics are barely any different to dear old Johnny 5's, and the steering is vaguer than a politician answering a question on Good Morning Britain.

Definitely a Tesco plain ham blandwich.  The 5 is a Finest beef & horseradish.

I don't recall when society reached the point of needing to replace cars every 2-3 years, just for the sake of it.  It's wanton consumerism and unnecessary waste.  I think people would be a lot happier and better off if they learned to appreciate what they've got.  People are suckers for drip fed minor upgrades.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

willni

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 08:39:04 pm »
I think its a keeper. I've looked at some mk6s and I do personally like the looks plus they're rare - I hardly ever seen any mk6 GTIs vs mk5s and mk7s. Does everything I need of it as a daily but can jump into it on a weekend and just have a good old blast.

I have driven both mk6/mk7 gti’s (courtesy cars from dealers when mine goes in)while they are lovely to look at, I find them extremely bland and boring. I take great delight in taking them back and telling service if they get a car that is as good to look at as the mk6/7 but has the driving ability of the Mk5 .......I would be first in queue to order it. :evilgrin:

Certainly in the case of the MK7, bland (to drive) is definitely the right word  :smiley:  All of the interior accoutrements are standard issue digital bores no one needs.  The soft furnishings and plastics are barely any different to dear old Johnny 5's, and the steering is vaguer than a politician answering a question on Good Morning Britain.

Definitely a Tesco plain ham blandwich.  The 5 is a Finest beef & horseradish.

I don't recall when society reached the point of needing to replace cars every 2-3 years, just for the sake of it.  It's wanton consumerism and unnecessary waste.  I think people would be a lot happier and better off if they learned to appreciate what they've got.  People are suckers for drip fed minor upgrades.

Also agree the mk5 is a far better drive than the mk7, the mk7 is perfectly capable but I've had more fun in a ford transit than the gti pp. There's a reason the mk5 gti is on most Auto Reviewers top cars and not the mk7 gti.

Offline DaveyBoyWonder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 08:11:43 am »
After having another look around at the weekend, for what I think it'd cosy to sort out the buy a that need doing on mine as well as a few choice upgrades (got some Eibachs springs in the garage but going to go straight to AP coilovers I think - had them before on a mk5 platform car and rated them), there's not a lot out there I'd prefer.

Time to get a build thread going  :laugh: