Make a donation

Author Topic: GTDI suddenly stopped - No fuel in filter housing (But fuel in tank)  (Read 1011 times)

Mr. Bass

Hi guys,
First post here, but I have an issue with my 2007 MK 5 Golf GTi (The 140ps diesel engine)
I was driving home last night and suddenly the car lost power, then stopped and wouldn't start again. (I had no warning lights show up before this happened). The car has been running fine up until now.

Today, a local mechanic came round and checked for fault codes. Nothing showed up as an issue, but he said that it could be the fuel sender pump above the tank, or a failure of the HPFP. (I'm guessing the latter would be expensive?)
The fact that there was no fuel in the filter holder, makes me hope that the pump above the tank might be the problem? He also said that he would need to take the car to the garage to run a pressure test done. Surely, the first thing to test would be the pump at the tank? I'm not exactly a mechanical expert, but I would have thought that if no fuel was even filling the filter tank/housing (or whatever its called!), the problem would be with the pump from the tank??

I'm even confusing myself writing this  :thinking:

i was just hoping for a few opinions on this, as to what it could be?

Many thanks

Offline AntzGti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
Re: GTDI suddenly stopped - No fuel in filter housing (But fuel in tank)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 09:41:15 am »
Hi,

Yes correct.

There is a simple electrical "lift pump" that supplies fuel from your tank up to the HPFP.

If the filter is dry, a simple test would be to energise the lift pump (VAG Com maybe?) and disconnect the input fuel line from the lift pump to your fuel filter and direct that into a bowl. If the lift pump is working then you should get steady stream of derv from the lift pump into your bowl once the pump is running..

Best Regards

Antony