Make a donation

Author Topic: Temperature Sensor  (Read 2281 times)

Offline aaronk.juju

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
Temperature Sensor
« on: November 13, 2018, 07:28:25 pm »
So the fact that there is no oil temperature indication has always bugged me about my car. My Mk6 had one on the mfd, however this doesn't. When I have used VCDS I have been able to get a reading, so I'm assuming there is a sensor somewhere. On the mk6 its part of the oil level/temp sender unit at the bottom of the sump. But, when I use apps like torque pro etc, there is no reading as if the sensor doesn't exist? Does anyone have any info on how I can get the reading, or is it a case of putting in an aftermarket gauge/temp sender oil sump plug?

P.S. I have know about the climatronic secret menu - 19.2 - which is actually the coolant radiator outlet temp (IIRC), not oil temp. Makes sense, as the unit would not need to know about the oil temperature.
Edition 30 DSG, Revo Stage 2+ and other bits and bobs.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
Re: Temperature Sensor
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 06:51:46 pm »
Polar FIS, or VCDS.

Oil temp (and many other) PID channels are VW/Audi specific and won't appear on most of OBD2 dongle apps.

The oil doesn't get hot enough to be of concern under normal driving, hence why VW chose not to include it in the MFA.  It just creates customer paranoia.  Modern synthetics are fine up to 130 deg C, which is a temp you will never see unless tracking it very hard.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline aaronk.juju

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 01:55:24 am »
Ye I get that. I'm concerned about the oil not being at operating temp before I put my foot down, rather than it overheating. At the moment I'm just waiting 5 minutes after the coolant has reached operating temp, which isn't that accurate, and I'd just like to know the real temp. I guess I am going to have to spend a bit and buy one of the mentioned units.  :sad1:

Cheers for the explanation.
Edition 30 DSG, Revo Stage 2+ and other bits and bobs.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 10:57:27 am »
It will take ages to get the oil to 90+ degrees if you baby it.  In fact, this time of year, you'll be lucky to see 96-98 at all during a commute.

I always drive my cars hard from cold and never had a problem.  Not pedal to the metal hard, but you know, common sense, give it enough load/revs to warm it up faster.  This is why OEMs specify a particular oil.  They appreciate 99% of drivers don't give a toss about warming engines up and just nail it immediately  :grin:

Only where it is a major concern, you normally get temperature related power/rev restrictions, such as the older BMW M3 and M5 engines.....and the only reason for that was because BMW specified a 10W60, which is like treacle when cold.   The 0W40 or 5W30 we use in our GTIs is very thin at low temperatures, so there is no need to hold the engine back until it's warm.

I've monitored the oil temps in my ED30 at various states of tune, summer and winter, and honestly, there is nothing to worry about.  Just drive it and enjoy it.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D