Make a donation

Author Topic: Hi newbie looking for a GTi  (Read 1232 times)

Offline JayP86

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Hi newbie looking for a GTi
« on: November 15, 2018, 11:25:43 pm »
Hi everyone,

Just thought id introduce myself. Im trying to find a mk 5 gti, preferably an ED 30. Trying to get a clean unmodified car, manual and 5 door.

There seems to be alot around. I'm moving from a 530i (E60). Lovely car but the wife hates driving it as its a bit of barge. Tbh it doesnt fit in most supermarket car parks, and with a toddler its just too difficult. Love the blend of power and luxury though.

Ive been reading through about common issues. Mainly rusty arches, PCV, cambelts and water pumps. Anything else i should be looking for? Im hoping to see a high miler (c.130-140k) on
Saturday. Ive never owned something with such high mileage, so a little concerned about turbo and clutch/flywheel. Also the car only has one key, so will need a spare and any unaccounted for keys coded out.

I'm in Birmingham and hoping to dig something out before Xmas.

Im plodding along reading and researching but any advice would be massively appreciated.

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
Re: Hi newbie looking for a GTi
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 06:23:23 am »
I would look closely at when the fuel pump cam followered was last changed - cheap job but potentially catastrophic if it wears through. Good information content however about how the car has been maintained. Also if noisy at idle, the (secondary) cam chain and adjuster could be on their way out.  Check also for misfire at higher revs, could be indicative of problems with imjectors and ignition coils.

Offline JayP86

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Hi newbie looking for a GTi
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 07:01:26 am »
Thats really useful info, thank you so much.

I hadnt realised there was even a second chain cam  :sad1:

How easy are these engines to work on for a DIY mechanic?
Old BMs have always been reasonably easy to work on in my experience, i was hoping to find the same with VW.