Make a donation

Author Topic: Upgrading Stereo - New Antenna Necessary?  (Read 1002 times)

giupviecnha

Upgrading Stereo - New Antenna Necessary?
« on: November 23, 2018, 08:58:10 am »
Hi, I've purchased an RNS510 which I will install soon. I know I need to upgrade the canbus due to the age of my Golf but I was wondering do I need to purchase a new GPS antenna also? My car currently has a stock stereo fitted which has sat nav functionality so I assume there is some kind of antenna on board already? Could this be used? On the roof I have the shark fin type antenna, thanks.

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
Upgrading Stereo - New Antenna Necessary?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 02:37:37 pm »
No, but you may require an aerial splitter for back of the unit.

Great little unit enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MK5 ED30

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Upgrading Stereo - New Antenna Necessary?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 02:02:44 pm »
You will need a Fakra splitter cable and its a very straightforward install. I bought this to fit my RNS 510 install http://amzn.eu/d/1NCq1Ap and it works fine.

Tip: Make sure that the connectors are the right way round at the car end (blue sockets) *before* you put it back together as your AM radio wont work unless its connected correctly. The AM amp needs to work with one of the sockets but FM will work with either. I made this mistake and had to take it all out and swap them over 2 weeks later  :doh:
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: Upgrading Stereo - New Antenna Necessary?
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 02:17:17 pm »
You need a new GPS antenna but you can buy a cheap one from eBay that you can place above the RNS-510, under the dashboard. Use double-sided tape to fix the antenna.