Make a donation

Author Topic: Gear box oil change at 107k worth doing?  (Read 1374 times)

Offline reidy-

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
Gear box oil change at 107k worth doing?
« on: November 27, 2018, 03:07:51 pm »
Hi,

so my gearbox shifts aren't nearly as crisp as they used to be and are quite notchy when cold (Manual box)

I've bled the clutch fluid which helped marginally, but obviously hasn't touched the notichiness issue..

Given its got 106k the synchros are bound to be getting somewhat worn so a degree of degradation is expected my thoughts are that the oil is a 'lifetime' item, however I doubt the design criteria was that these should be operating as new 12 years later with 106k miles of metal shavings going through it.

so my question is, has anyone changed their gearbox oil - and did it make any difference at all?

thanks

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
Re: Gear box oil change at 107k worth doing?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 03:50:46 pm »
I had mine done earlier in the year. Car was at ~40k.

Its one of those things; no schedule to stick to, so for me was just peace of mind. An unlikely to ever do it again type of job.

If anything I would say the gear shifts are ever so slightly more notch-y when cold. But when all up to temperature gear changes are perfectly, satisfyingly slick. Perhaps not the best anecdote as starting from different points, though.

The only advice I kept coming across before doing mine was to only use proper OEM gearbox oil. Lots of stories of people trying different stuff, only to end up putting OEM back in again.
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 05:52:34 pm »
I always change the gearbox oil as soon as i buy a new car and it always look lots darker than the new stuff I replace it with.

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 07:51:10 pm »
I think I’ll do this soon. Need to replace the white shift bearing shell as my gear changes are like stirring soup, chuck some fresh oil in and maybe a bushing kit and it should be good as new.

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 07:54:20 pm »
Definitely change the oil and make sure to use the genuine stuff from dealer. Is thin like water but gets rid of that 2nd gear notchiness. 

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 05:57:57 pm »
It always makes me laugh how ‘sealed for life’ gearboxes come with drain and fill plugs.  Everything degrades, so replace it.  What VW really mean is ‘sealed for the duration of the warranty’.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 08:19:27 am »
I changed mine on a 6 year old car at 50k miles and it made an almighty difference. It's now 11 years old and on 80k and I'll be doing it again next summer once it warms up a little outside.

Oil for life is utter nonsense - as Pudding said - it's designed to last until VW's legal obligations are fulfilled

And as above - Genuine only - do not even consider a cheaper alternative, be it a Febi OEM oil or a Fuchs equivalent etc.
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 02:48:02 pm »
Next time VW keep hassling me for services and cam belt changes, I'll tell them my wallet is sealed for life.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D