Make a donation

Author Topic: GT TDI 170 Sport Glow Plugs?  (Read 3366 times)

Offline KieranF

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
GT TDI 170 Sport Glow Plugs?
« on: December 05, 2018, 08:39:18 am »
Hi Folks,

Anyone done glow plugs on one a mk5 GT TDI Sport 170, 2008/58? easy enough to tackle yourself or are they guilty for seizing and best putting into a garage?

Car takes an extra few seconds to start on a really cold start and has a slight miss for 3-4 seconds once it starts. After this the car runs great, no lights on the dash either.

Thanks,
Kieran
'58 Mk5 Golf GT TDi Sport 170 - Reflex Silver

Offline Golf5 GT

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: GT TDI 170 Sport Glow Plugs?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 12:55:46 pm »
I have the same vehicle and mine does the same on first start up.

I will be going down the route of changing the glow plugs first (will be going for a genuine set) and on idle I can just about tell that the ideal isn’t 100% smooth.

I’ve had it plugged in and checked to be told to try and get a new injector loom first.

Offline ady-uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 01:19:14 pm »
You need to get it scanned for faults.
A faulty glowplug circuit will show up and tell you which one

It may not be glow plug, ic could be head gasket, porous cylinder head...
putting a small amount of water in one of the cylinders, causing rough cold start & idle.

glow plugs don't work above a certain temperature (think about 6 degrees).
When they are needed, if one isn't working and the car starts, it'd be with the rest in less than 30 seconds!
VW Golf 2.0 Gtd 140 4motion (2005)
Factory fitted: xenons, sunroof, heated leather seats, fold in mirrors with downlights,
Custom: Mk6 steering wheel, updated gateway, RNS510 remote boot pop, LED lighting.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 11:11:14 am »
If the glow plug light comes on when engines running... this might not indicate a Glow Plug fault.. I've had it flashing on before for DPF issues - yeah so that's gone!!  :signLOL:

I have the PD170 engine in my touran, used to have cold start issues, changed out all 4 plugs.. it isn't a hard job at all. just fiddly getting the cam cover off/on. assuming yours would be the same as mine (glow plugs under the cover).

Anyway.. long story short, changing them made no difference for me, turned out to be my battery. Replaced and fixed (last winter).