Make a donation

Author Topic: Bad fuel smell in car  (Read 2584 times)

Offline Bo!

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Bad fuel smell in car
« on: December 18, 2018, 07:18:30 pm »
Hi, over the last two days I have had a growing concern that there’s is a strong smell of petrol coming into the car when the heaters on. At first I thought it wasn’t the car but have realised it is. The smell is coming from the drivers side of the engine bay. I have had a look this evening and believe I may have narrowed it down to the hose that connects to the carbon canister from the fuel rail. There’s no obvious signs of a leak but the hose is sticky to the touch and the smell was stronger from that area when the car was running. Is it possible the hose is knackered and there are vapours escaping through it?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
Re: Bad fuel smell in car
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 12:37:31 pm »
Yeah that hose gets porous and brittle with age.  You could just get a length of generic fuel hose from a motor factors and replace it. I don't reckon a replacement from VW is particularly cheap.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Bo!

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 02:29:52 pm »
I have had it in garage today, they have said the hose is ok.
Diagnosed visually injector 1 as having an issue fuel leaking from that area so more than likely injector seals. Not going to be cheap 🤑

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 04:55:01 pm »
Nope.  Removing/refitting the intake manifold and injectors is pretty labour intensive!  Perhaps you ought to consider some preventative maintenance whilst it's apart.  Refurbed/new injectors, carbon clean etc etc.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D