Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone running Michelin Cross Climate all season tyres?  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Rado16v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Anyone running Michelin Cross Climate all season tyres?
« on: December 15, 2018, 09:16:20 am »
We currently have Michelin Pilot Sport 4's and the fronts are due a replacement. I wonder how the GTi fairs on Michelin Cross Climate all tyres. I have them on my Subaru but it's a very different car to the GTi.

It'll be on the 18 inch wheels so in 225/40 18 size. We don't drive the car hard and I think it'll be a good all rounder. Safety and comfort are of more importance than performance.

I used to swap the wheels over for a winter set but sold them after a few mild winters we had a few years back.

Appreciate your views.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
Re: Anyone running Michelin Cross Climate all season tyres?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 09:39:36 am »
I have those same Michelin ps4 all round but a few weeks ago I put two cross climates on the front of my gti. They are meant to beat summer tyres when the temperature is less than seven degrees but we're only just seeing such weather now.

I can get understeer on wet roundabouts when I'm hammering it but I'd probably get that with any tyre at those speeds.

My partner has them all round on her might one litre yaris and has done so for about a year now. She's got no complaints.

My aim is to reduce braking distance if either of us needed to slam on over winter.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 09:44:49 am »
And they are noisier than summer tyres, not deafening but noticeable.

I have the same size and profile you're looking at.

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 11:50:56 am »
I never liked all season tyres, they can't compare with real winter tyres on snow and they are a bit softer than summer tyres, they wear out faster, no were near the same grip level. They are best on cold dry weather. I had them on my A-Class Mercedes, I'll never use again.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 12:47:56 pm »
/\ what he said.

All seasons aren't as good as a summer tyre in the summer, and not as good as a winter tyre in the winter, so are a compromise not worth paying for.   

I had the cross climates on an Alfa 147 years ago and they were only slightly better on snow.  Absolutely no comparison to their full fat Alpin winter tyre.

FWIW, the PS4s with reasonable amounts of tread remaining are actually really grippy down to 2 degrees.  I've been very impressed with their cold performance.

You're always going to be better off with 2 sets of tyres unfortunately.  If safety is your primary concern, get proper winters.  Find a cheap set of 16" steels on ebay.  You don't need expensive 18" winters.   Yes 16s are a bit squidgy in the corners when it's +8 or warmer, but when it's properly cold, icey and snowy, you will thank yourself for it.  Taller, softer sidewalls help with traction on compacted snow.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Rado16v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 10:53:07 pm »
Thanks for your replies, some good points raised.