Author Topic: 25k first service  (Read 263 times)

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 40
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ootk94tcoc6bq76hcabur95m72&/topic,109742.0.html
25k first service
« on: December 04, 2018, 10:22:33 PM »
Found a car im interested in but not sure about service history

It's a golf mk6 r on a 12reg with 44k in clock and completely standard

1st service at 24500k main dealer
2nd service at 35k none main dealer
3rd service at 43k none main dealer

Would the first service after covering almost 25k put you off? Trouble down the line or am I just over thinking it? Guessing it'll of been on long life oil but still seems high

Offline Octoparrot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
Re: 25k first service
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 11:05:04 PM »
Personally that would put me off but I guess it depends on how long you expect to keep it. To keep the same oil for that length of time on a high performance car shouldn't be right.  :stupid:

Offline colesey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 06:20:15 AM »
That’s not ideal (I do mine every 3k miles since new) however if it is in line with VW recommendations then I guess you should be ok wrt reliability and resale given its low mileage.

Offline chigmuss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 08:39:20 PM »
User on here called something like Teutonic Tamer had commented on a Millers Oil thread few months ago, what he didn't know about oils didn't seem worth knowing. Might be idea to PM him. Do you know how long (time wise) it took to rack up the mileage to first service? If it was a rep car doing hundreds of miles per day (engine warm cruising in higher gears) then maybe that's not as damaging to an engine, and thus a long life schedule allows such big miles before the oil is 'going off'? My stab at how that might have been the case...

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 47
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 10:22:30 PM »
Is it possible that the car started off on long life servicing? Perhaps after the first service the owner had it changed to time/interval servicing?

@chris92 If you know the reg, you could call VW customer services and and them if the service @24k miles was a long life service.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Offline Pudding

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 410
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 11:53:44 AM »
It's quite possible the dealer didn't stamp the first service if it came with a 'free first service' package, which isn't uncommon on new car deals.

So the 25K one is likely the second service in reality. 

Or, as mentioned already, if it was on long life and the car didn't do a lot of short journeys, it's possible the oil quality sensor in the sump didn't deem it necessary to be changed until 25K.  As much as it goes against the grain of car enthusiasts and common sense, long life oil is actually designed to be just that  :happy2:

Either way, I wouldn't let it put me off personally if the car is in good shape and a good price.  It's just an engine and should be treated as a consumable.  The main structure and interior are the important bits.

At 6 years old, it also due a cambelt/water pump, so factor that into the haggling.  It's a £549 job at VW.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 11:55:34 AM by Pudding »
Black Edition 30 with manually selected cogs, a beefier clutch, some extra boost and them Whiteline thingies, otherwise standard.

Offline muff1991

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 11:18:02 AM »
it wouldn't put me off, would raise an eyebrow yes.. but factory oil is the long life stuff which they reckon is good for 20k anyway.. so only a few over.

I got a guy at work who had run the same oil in his car for over 4 years without changing it hahaha. still runs fine now lol.

I wouldn't let it put you off if the cars right etc. :happy2: