Make a donation

Author Topic: First GTI - Tyre Advice  (Read 2395 times)

Offline jmckGTI

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
First GTI - Tyre Advice
« on: December 05, 2018, 10:36:12 pm »
I've been lusting after a mk5 GTI since I pasted my test a few years ago, with a bit of more knowledgeable help and advice I took a gamble on a CAT N(d) MK5 with 120k on the clock, and little paperwork purely because the price was right and it has a decent MOT history.

Cam chain etc done at 100k, interior immaculate except the usual slight rip on drivers bolster,new rear caliper,no rust spots on boot latch or rear arches and body work in general is extremely good considering. The downsides? It needs a window washer motor, back wiper doesn't work but previous owner was going to remove it anyway, not sure if I will do this or repair it, slight misalingment of bumper due to the crash from it being a CAT N but the repair job is pretty good, wings have no visible rust yet on the outside, one cracked arch liner from the crash although this has been repaired as well as it could be without a replacement and wings are fine, no rust yet but underside is showing signs of slight bubbling. Rear shocker is ok but could do with a replacement in the near future. ESP OFF button always shows as off but car drives spot on and you can feel the traction control working. No warning lights on dash.

Paid less than 2.5k after plenty of haggling. Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated, this is a massive learning curve for me and I intend to learn to do some of the smaller,easier maintenance jobs myself. I am searching for 2 front tyres to replace the Michelin ones on the front, the rears are fairly new, having previously ran a 53 plate fiesta on ditch finders until I found a GTI I have no clue about mid-high range tyres. The ST150 Mountune belongs to my sister, stunning little car.

Thank you!  :smiley: :smiley:

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
First GTI - Tyre Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 11:14:27 pm »
Nice one, enjoy

Continental sport are my favs, but I would be careful about mixing tyres tho. I had a bad experience  with different make on the front compared to the rear and the cars back end had less grip compared to the front. In the wet the car was all over the place around corners.

At the end the day, tires are really important don’t scrimp.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:17:46 am by Dogma »
MK5 ED30

Offline jmckGTI

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
Re: First GTI - Tyre Advice
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 08:29:08 am »
Thanks mate  :smiley:

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 08:41:06 am »
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 are the current favourite. Shop around and you should find a good deal on a pair.

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 10:21:06 am »
X2 on the Michelin PS4. Got all 4 changed and fitted locally through blackcircles who were also doing 10% off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 11:18:06 am »
X 3 Michelin Pilot Sport 4, really struggle to break traction in the dry.

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 12:34:11 pm »
Just had 4 PS4's fitted to mine. £399 inc balanced at ATS Euromaster. My first Michelin and I'm well impressed.

Offline jmckGTI

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 08:11:15 pm »
Looks like a clear winner then! :happy2:

It's sitting on michelins already but just about hitting the tread wear indicator, getting rear pads tomorrow so might as well get all 4 tyres changed at the same time!

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 09:18:26 pm »
Conti 5
Good years f3 asymmetric
Hankook
Michelin

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 09:29:18 pm »
I'm another running on Michelin PS4

Offline jmckGTI

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 10:51:56 pm »
As per advice above I will look at getting all 4 changed, closer inspection and the current ones on car are Michelin crossclimates which I believe is a winter tyre? Front ones are done though, just about legal and rears have a little life left but might as well go the whole hog!

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 07:46:37 am »
They are not a traditional winter tyre as you can run them.year round but they out perform summer tyres when.the temp is below 7 degrees. I am.currently running these even though it's  not consistently below 7 degrees.

They get rave reviews but it's not really been cold enough this year for me to test them. They are a bit noisier than summer tyres.

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 10:23:20 am »
The Pilot Sport 4 still offers phenomenal grip even when the temps are below 7 degrees outside. In the snow and ice however they are shockingly bad, worse than any other summer tyre I've had.
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline jmckGTI

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 01:08:19 pm »
They are not a traditional winter tyre as you can run them.year round but they out perform summer tyres when.the temp is below 7 degrees. I am.currently running these even though it's  not consistently below 7 degrees.

They get rave reviews but it's not really been cold enough this year for me to test them. They are a bit noisier than summer tyres.

I'm not to worried about road noise, grip in the wet and ice considering I live on the soggy west coast of Scotland is priority! Even though the current ones on car are almost done they've still felt quite grippy and had no issues yet!