Make a donation

Author Topic: Am I ready for Stage 2?  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Pinin_prestatyn

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Am I ready for Stage 2?
« on: December 05, 2018, 07:45:38 pm »
Hi

I’ve been slowly adding upgrades to the car and I think I’m ready for a remap. Mods are:

3” Downpipe with Decat pipe
BSH intake
P3 Cars Boost gauge
PCV Delete (PCV had failed)

What would you check/replace before booking a remap? I’ll change the plugs and oil. Finally, who’s arguably the best in the business? I’m thinking R-Tech based on what I’ve read.

Cheers

Matt

Offline chigmuss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Am I ready for Stage 2?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 08:23:03 pm »
That's not a bad start Matt. R-Techs' own site gives a good run down of expected hardware you'll need to achieve top numbers. All I'd say is making it stop should as much be in the budget as making it go. Search the forum for options, S3 brakes are a good upgrade, I believe Golf PowerPack and R brakes are also in the list now. It very often comes down to your budget as you can probably spend more than the purchase price of a GTi on Gucci mods (think Ohlins suspension, StopTech brake kits, BCS exhausts etc - all top class products but you pay for the quality and development that goes into making them so good).

Offline Pinin_prestatyn

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 09:08:24 pm »
Hey, thanks for the reply  :happy2:

I’m definitely on a budget, I sold my previous car, a Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo to try to cut down my expenditure on cars! Agree that brakes should be upgraded with the extra power however I find them pretty good, on mine at least. I’m no longer the type that really drives fast any more, Or corner fast. I drive like Miss Daisy these days. I just like to floor it and grin on a nice quiet straight road!

I’ve read the R-Tech site, never seen the F-word used on a professional car site’s web page before  :grin: Niki Gower must be quite a character. It mentions the fuel pump needs to be replaced, is that for the 1.8 20V or does everyone change this ahead of mapping on the 2.0 TFSI?

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 09:30:15 pm »
For stage 2 a high pressure fuel pump upgrade is not mandatory, only for stage 2+ (15-20 bhp more).
In my opinion you're ok for a stage 2.  :happy2:

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 01:40:48 pm »
If you value midrange torque, then the hpfp upgrade is very worthwhile. This pump is driven by the camshaft and therefore its output increases with engine speed. As a result, it can struggle to deliver optimal fueling for tuned cars at lower revs when the turbo spools up, especially K03.  Correctly mapped, the midrange gains will be a fair bit larger than the 15bhp you may see at peak power. I found it worthwhile on my stage 1 car even without any special mapping to take advantage of the extra pressure capability.

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 11:43:58 am »
If you value midrange torque, then the hpfp upgrade is very worthwhile. This pump is driven by the camshaft and therefore its output increases with engine speed. As a result, it can struggle to deliver optimal fueling for tuned cars at lower revs when the turbo spools up, especially K03.  Correctly mapped, the midrange gains will be a fair bit larger than the 15bhp you may see at peak power. I found it worthwhile on my stage 1 car even without any special mapping to take advantage of the extra pressure capability.
This