Make a donation

Author Topic: Ditch the GTI?  (Read 1418 times)

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
Ditch the GTI?
« on: December 11, 2018, 09:04:23 am »
After almost exactly a year my GTI has decided it didn't like itself and the engine died, thinking some sort of hydro-locking issue from chatting to the garage.

Anyway, I paid £3k, probably should've spent more and gone for lower mileage and since then I've probably spent that much again, most recently the oil pump failed which probably caused other issues leading to the dead engine.

So bearing in mind I do love driving the car but I've not actually invested much in it other than repairs is it worth buying a replacement block, it had an AXX on 160k. Newer BWA maybe? Or just try and sell it without an engine and start again?

Seriously cannot decide what to do at the moment :/

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
Re: Ditch the GTI?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 09:57:34 am »
all depends on your budget really, what's the rest of the cars condition like? is the engine completely naffed for sure? are you in a position to remove the engine yourseld.. strip and rebuild.. or you could remove the engine and replace with a BWA and be done with it. orrr depending on your budget you could even go one up and go K04 - BYD / CDL etc. obviously you would need to factor in extra cost with remaps etc and anything else you might need.

its a hard situation... but if you love the car and the rest of its condition is ok, plus if you want to keep it standard and you cant be bothered with any hag.. just buy a BWA and bolt it in :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 10:34:41 am by muff1991 »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 01:46:36 pm »
Just drop a used engine in and move on with your life. The car will be worthless without the ability to propel itself down the road.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 06:03:00 pm »
I had then same situation with a VR6 I owned.  Had the engine replaced which cost me a bomb.  Kept it for quite a few years afterwards, but regretted it.  As it was quite old lots of other things were worn out.  I should have put the money into a newer car. That said.....

If you've spent money already and the rest of the car is in good condition, then do it if you can get it fitting reasonably.

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 08:24:52 am »
Decided to keep it. I found a couple of engines and blocks, BWA and low miles so it should work out, plus hopefully some money back from the existing block :)

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 09:39:43 am »
if you can keep the AXX, some parts may come in handy going forward, if not then sell and get something back :-)

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 01:25:30 pm »
Yep shall be chatting to the garage as he wants to start rebuilding engines as a side line so should be able to get some money back from it.