Make a donation

Author Topic: front wings rusty  (Read 1282 times)

Offline GTI 500

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
front wings rusty
« on: December 11, 2018, 11:39:41 pm »
Anyone know what the deal is with rusty front wings and vw warranty??

Offline Eighteen88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
Re: front wings rusty
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 05:18:34 am »
Yeah quite a few have had them replaced free and under warranty, I got mine done went along to my local VW garage they had a look at the issue and agreed to replace them both, booked the job in got a courtesy car and mine returned a week later job done, easy & hassle free. You’ll find a few threads on the board regarding this. 
Good luck.
Milltek Non Resonated Cat-Back exhaust “edition 35”, Forge PCV Delete, APR Stage 1 Remap & APR DSG Remap, Volkswagen racing intake, Volkswagen racingline sport springs, Audi R8 Coil Pack, GFB DV+

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 08:25:37 am »
Doesn't it have to be within 10 years though? I wish the previous owners of mine had done it :D

Offline Eighteen88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 09:04:26 am »
Doesn't it have to be within 10 years though? I wish the previous owners of mine had done it :D
Yeah think that’s right but sure the warranty is 12 years?
Milltek Non Resonated Cat-Back exhaust “edition 35”, Forge PCV Delete, APR Stage 1 Remap & APR DSG Remap, Volkswagen racing intake, Volkswagen racingline sport springs, Audi R8 Coil Pack, GFB DV+

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 09:38:28 am »
i think warranty is 12 years, when I checked the manual.. i'm sure I see then as I was gutted my car missed the rust warranty by months.

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 01:57:30 pm »
Its 10 years plus 2 years goodwill (even though the manual says 12). Thats what they told me earlier this year. I tried and failed to get mine repaired under warranty.

They came up with every excuse why the couldn't do it and contradicted themselves many times. Wasn't worth the hassle in the end as they basically said take it to the ombudsman if your not happy.

You may get lucky though so worth a shot. Also they won't consider any warranty repairs usually if the wings have had paint on in the past...

My front drivers side has a slight bit of bubbling and hasn't got any worse since March, so next spring/summer I'm looking at buying some genuine wings and replacing/painting.

Offline DaveyBoyWonder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 01:16:58 pm »
Its 10 years plus 2 years goodwill (even though the manual says 12). Thats what they told me earlier this year. I tried and failed to get mine repaired under warranty.

They came up with every excuse why the couldn't do it and contradicted themselves many times. Wasn't worth the hassle in the end as they basically said take it to the ombudsman if your not happy.

You may get lucky though so worth a shot. Also they won't consider any warranty repairs usually if the wings have had paint on in the past...

My front drivers side has a slight bit of bubbling and hasn't got any worse since March, so next spring/summer I'm looking at buying some genuine wings and replacing/painting.

That was my experience as well. In the end I'd had enough of their refusal to provide any kind of assistance and inability to answer questions about what their warranty did cover etc. That was Huddersfield VW though who I'd never touch with a barge pole - apparently it does depend on which dealership you visit.

I just ordered a set of pattern wings already painted on eBay as a quick fix and to be fair, I'm dead pleased with them. Perfect colour match and sub £200 for 2 wings painted and posted. They'll do until I put SRS wings on it...