Make a donation

Author Topic: OEM clutch kit?  (Read 2589 times)

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
OEM clutch kit?
« on: December 12, 2018, 08:31:45 am »
Can I check this is the right clutch kit for a GTI manual? Since the car has 150k on it and the engine is out it makes sense to do the clutch and release bearing at the same time :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400835767156

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
Re: OEM clutch kit?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 09:18:53 am »
Certainly seems correct but it doesn't mention new flywheel bolts so you may have to get new ones yourself.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 11:00:18 am »
That's a great price for DMF and clutch.  I would read the 'lifetime warranty' small print carefully though, if there is any.   The trouble with ebay and Amazon these days is you don't know if it's fake crap or the real deal.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 12:23:40 pm »
It's only another tenner (£421.91) to order from CarParts4Less, and another fiver or so for new LUK bolts. I bought and fitted an LUK clutch kit from them recently. I'd much rather a retailer than through eBay for things like this.

The lifetime warranty will be the LUK RepSet warranty (i.e. take it up with the manufacturer) and if memory serves, applies to businesses that use them.
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 01:23:33 pm »
OK thanks folks, I'll have a nosey this evening and get something ordered. Hopefully have a new (relative to mine) engine next week.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 07:38:42 pm »
For reference, you're looking at £950 for the DMF and clutch from VW, before discount.  If your dealer is a good one, it can reduce to about £600 for both.  Big metal parts have bigger discount codes than the smaller stuff.  Just have to ask.

I've compared OEM and aftermarket supplied clutches of the same brand, and there's no comparison.  OEM LUK flywheel lasted 95K miles.  Replacement LUK from ECP put in 2 years ago is dead already.  It's just the small things like pressure plate balancing, pressure plate spring consistency, throw out distance etc etc.  LUK/Sachs are not obliged to make their clutches to OEM standards for the aftermarket....hence the price difference.

In the spring/summer I will be doing TTRS pressure plate, OEM friction plate and OEM DMF.   I can't be arsed with dropping the gearbox every 2-3 years to replace shoddy flywheels.  You may not have any trouble with that ebay clutch, but I highly doubt the DMF will last long.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D