Make a donation

Author Topic: MK6 GTD - Reliable or not?  (Read 10337 times)

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
MK6 GTD - Reliable or not?
« on: December 18, 2018, 08:32:59 am »
Hi all

So after selling my mk5 I took ownership of an Audi A5 2.7 which I am enjoying however the time has come for me to now change to a car with more doors.

I was looking at the mk6 golf gtd however I've just been looking online and  I've been reading some people post that the mk6 should be avoided all together especially the diesel engines.

Although I understand that all cars will have their issues (they are mechanical and with the amount of sensors and potential poor components used) things will need changing.

However my question is are they REALLY that bad?Or are people just scaremongering and making mountains out of molehills?

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: MK6 GTD - Reliable or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 11:05:48 am »
I think the 2.0 CR170 engine is one of the most reliable VW made. :smiley:

What horror stories have you read about them? Only the 1.6 CR105 is weak and has frequent injectors (factory fitted, the upgraded version is good) and EGR issues.

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 12:07:28 pm »
Thanks for your reply @Shoduchi the one I was reading was this:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/117527/golf-gtd-gti---golf

But I didn't want to take what I read there as gospel

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 12:46:32 pm »
You need to make a lot of miles per year to make the GTD a better option than the GTI, though.

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 02:07:14 pm »
@Shoduchi my brother is in the car trade and the car has come available so it's an option for me to buy it and sell the A5 which is a 3 door. In an ideal world i woukd buy a mk6 gti but this ones come up so toying with the idea of buying it as it's there

It's got a decent spec on it and is a 5 door which is why I'm considering the change from the 2.7 tdi A5 (xenons leather front and rear sensors folding mirrors to name a few bits)

I just don't wanna swap to it if it's really that bad as people are making out from my A5 which mechanically has been faultless in the last year I've had it

Thanks

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 09:31:19 pm »
If a GTI is as much of an option I'd really strongly suggest you hold out for one over a derv.

Not sure if the mk6 GTD is PD or CR, but the PD 170 DPF cars can be a pain in the backside. DPF issues (costly to replace if you intend to stay standard and pay dealer prices), injector/loom issues/recalls, and apparently the Siemens ECU was more problematic than the Bosch ECUs of for example the 140 diesels - although the problems I've heard of may have been in the context of remapping rather than general 'standard' running.

The GTI is the better car and for me personally I'd only put a GTD in front of it if I was doing mega miles. Even then the GTI is far from thirsty.

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 10:29:34 pm »
thanks for your input @AJP - i believe the GTD is CR... maybe someone can correct? i wont be planning on mapping it or anything. will be kept pretty much standard (maybe change the wheels to charlestones as they currently have vancouvers and changing the rear lights to LED).

just seen that the mechatronics was replaced at VW too so thats a bonus i guess?

will know tomorrow whats happening either way  :smiley:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 12:13:06 am »
As I wrote before, the mk6 GTD has a CR170 engine. It’s reliable. DPF issues can always happen if you do too many short runs.

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 04:02:56 pm »
Have bought the car - it was a little cheaper than I thought so bonus.

Pick it up tomorrow  :smiley:

Offline omeydz

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 50
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 08:42:01 pm »
Cool congrats. Need to sell my A5 too!
Recently back on the forum! Good to be back
Current Rides
Mazda RX8 231bhp ( very different little rocket lol!)
----
SOLD
2011 Golf MK6 1.4 TFSI R20/GTI Hybrid - DSG converted *world first!*
2007 MK5 Golf 1.4 FSI
2007 Golf MK5 GTI DSG
2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 04:36:30 pm »
I think the 2.0 CR170 engine is one of the most reliable VW made. :smiley:

This  :happy2: +1

I ran a 6spd manual CR170 A3 Black Dishun' which was revo stage 2 mapped most of it's life under me (4 years) and it was bulletproof, or certainly seemed it. I serviced it every 10k (oil/fuel filter/filters etc) but despite being well treated, it always was ready for a hard drive whether it be around town, motorway haul or on track days  :evilgrin:

Nothing on it felt anything other than on about 20k miles bearing in mind I sold it on about 92k. In honesty, it felt like it was just wearing in! A few things annoyed me about it but that was mainly Audi design and their inability to spec even the top of the range Audi's at the time properly (2011). The GTD won't give you those niggles. In terms of mechanical reliability, my CR170 was better than my MK5 GTI, of which only the AC compressor ever let me down in 3.5 years  :grin:

Find a well serviced one and the mileage almost doesn't matter to some degree, either negotiate a warranty or get a reputable well priced used car warranty for peace-of-mind. Choose well & job should be a good-un. Bear in mind in this day and age, some of them could obviously already be mapped but the nature of the seller and drive of the car under test should reveal if that's the case or not :happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 10:49:11 pm »
Thanks for your reply @rdfcpete well I have found that I needed to change the dual mass flywheel but I put that down to it was gonna need doing eventually anyway and as my brother has a garage i get things done cheap(er).

Bar that it's been pretty solid so far.it still pulls really well and the previous owner really did look after the car. He did the cam belt and water pump before he traded it in and the mechatronics was replaced by vw so DSG service wont be needed for a while yet. Interior is mint and body work is very clean too. Should giving me a couple of years of good motoring now the fly wheel is done.