Make a donation

Author Topic: Temp Gauge Fluctuating  (Read 3162 times)

Offline maxamplitude10

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
  • '07' ED30 Manual 3Dr
    • Email
Temp Gauge Fluctuating
« on: January 12, 2019, 06:02:19 am »
Guys owned my Ed30 for 5 years and temp gauge has always been rock solid at 90deg TDC, however recently it has started dipping to around 70/ 80deg. Any ideas where to start and is this the initial signs of a head gasket going or simular?
I've bought a genuine temp sender unit but not convinced this is going to be the culprit, is it more likely to be a thermostat issue?
Any help would be massively appreciated:-)

Thanks in advance
MaxAmplitude

Offline spinfaster

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Temp Gauge Fluctuating
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 01:28:33 pm »
I have a similar issue. For 4 years it's been a solid 90º. Last year it started reading more like 70º. At the same time I had a big loss of power which turned out to be the turbo over-boosting. It sorted it's self out, had the error cleared and it's never happened again, but the temp has since been reading odd. I had a new thermostat and sensor fitted but it's still reading 70º. If I leave the car running or drive fairly slow (~30mph) it'll reach 90º and sit there, but as soon as I'm moving over 40mph or so it drops again. I have no other issues. Let me know if you find out anything else!

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 12:26:13 pm »
Usually a thermostat or temp sensor, replace both if you have the money, if not, start with thermostat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline maxamplitude10

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • '07' ED30 Manual 3Dr
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 10:02:47 pm »
@spinfaster sounds like an identical issue to mine, do you find turning the heaters on and off makes any kind of influence?
I'm concerned it could be a head gasket issue have you noticed any loss in coolant?

:thinking:

Cheers

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 10:57:14 am »
Similar symptoms for me were cured by a thermostat, didn't touch the temperature sensors on mine as both seemed to be reading similarly and so presumably correctly. Which raises a point - there are two coolant sensors (at least on my '06 GTI) - one at the radiator and one at the engine block. Not sure which sends its value to the dash to be read out on they gauge, but its possible that you could replace the good one only to leave any potential fault with the other in place.

If you have VCDS its easy to read the live values of these in measuring blocks to verify their function. Just put the ignition on without starting the engine after its been sat for a few hours and if they both read the correct (and same) ambient temperature through VCDS then I'd guess the thermostat is the culprit. Mine was opening too soon (around 70C, should be 87C) so was fine round town but soon as it got any air through the radiator on the motor way it would hover around just under 90 indicated, which in reality was more like 70C as anything between 75C and 115C reads 90 on the gauge in the clocks.

"Real" coolant temperature can also be read out the the climate control display, again not sure if this is engine or radiator temperature though http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=50280.0
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline maxamplitude10

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • '07' ED30 Manual 3Dr
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 06:31:34 am »
Thanks F00glee I'm going to bite the bullet and change the stat, I'll let you know the results!!

I'm right in thinking there is only on Thermostat?

MaxAmplitude

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 08:44:13 am »
@maxamplitude10 I had forgotten about number of stats... my '06 GTI manual only has 1 main stat attached to the engine block behind the alternator. I believe some GTIs had an additional "in line" stat and also if you're DSG this adds a further one. I didn't have to consider these but if you have one or both  - these could be the culprit as much as the main one.

So its possible to have anywhere from 1 (main one) to 3 (main one + two inline).

This DIY details the inline ones - you can see them without having to remove anything so worth a check to see if you have them first, and then maybe the simpler thing to change first if you do. Try googling thermostat issues, plenty of reports of differing symptoms and which part was changed to fix them on here and other forums.
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=78341.0
Current:
Previous:

Offline maxamplitude10

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • '07' ED30 Manual 3Dr
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 09:03:40 am »
@F00glee cheers dude I'll check it out, I've got manual cogs and I think I only have a main stat but will confirm this asap

Thanks for guide much appreciated :happy2:

MaxAmplitude

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 09:58:23 am »
No Problem at all  :happy2:

If you're DIY-ing it allow a day - for me silly inaccessible clips and stubborn joints in the coolant pipes added hours on to the theoretical 3 hour book time.. took me 8!
Current:
Previous:

Offline maxamplitude10

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • '07' ED30 Manual 3Dr
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 10:15:00 am »
Ok will do @F00glee sounds like could be split knuckles time then, access seems somewhat limited!!!!

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 06:20:21 pm »
It took me around 8 hours to change mine as well, if I had to do one again I'd be seriously tempted to remove the front of the car for access.

Martymaymn

Temp Gauge Fluctuating
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 01:33:47 am »
Help need please ive recently fitted a water temp gauge and ive wired it all up n the gauge needle hasnt moved even when the car had warmed up. Thanks for the advice in advance

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 02:09:42 pm »
You should use the sensor that came with the gauge.  Connecting any old aftermarket gauge to the VW sensor may not work properly.  At best it will over/under read, or at worst, not work at all.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D