Make a donation

Author Topic: Doors and boot not unlocking 99% of the time with fob?  (Read 961 times)

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
Doors and boot not unlocking 99% of the time with fob?
« on: January 17, 2019, 08:09:08 am »
I've seen a variety of posts on here about the solenoids etc going on these cars.

I've just got my car back after replacing the engine etc. Before this I would very occasionally have the issue where none of the doors including the boot would unlock (5 door car if that makes a difference), you could here that the solenoids weren't moving. The driver's door unlocked without issue with the key and the others from inside. The boot would eventually open with a bit of tugging and locking/unlocking.

Since I got my car back it's doing this every time.

Surely every solenoid can't suddenly have died? Is it likely wiring on the driver's door or wherever the primary trigger is for the rest?

Cheers,
Paul.

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Doors and boot not unlocking 99% of the time with fob?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 08:20:20 am »
Battery in the key fob?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 09:27:33 am »
The lights come on as they should and you can hear something in the doors so shouldn't be that, plus I only replaced the battery a couple of months ago :)

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 09:51:32 am »
I had my two passenger side door locks replaced because they wouldn'y unlock at all after a period of them being tempramental.

I now sometimes gets issues with the boot especially not unlocking and sometimes all the doors.  It's the battery in the key fob.  Replaced it, and it sorted it for a few months and it came back - I'd bought the battery fro a small motor spares shop and I think it had probably been in the drawer for 10 years so was just sh*t!  Bought a new, new battery from amazon and it sorted the issue.

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 10:02:12 am »
OK, thanks both, I'll give that a try first this evening, I bought some new batteries recently so will dig them out :)

Offline amanda

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 11:41:01 am »
I had this issue with an a6 turned out to be the boot lock causing the problem replaced it and it was fine afterwards

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 11:09:08 am »
Definitely not the fob. Booked in on Monday, am assuming it's probably the controller since all 4 doors and boot remain locked.

I also hadn't realised pressing and holding unlock makes all 4 windows come down partially and doing the same when locking puts them back :D