Make a donation

Author Topic: Pilot Sport 4 - 17 Inch Variant Advice  (Read 1431 times)

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
Pilot Sport 4 - 17 Inch Variant Advice
« on: January 18, 2019, 04:01:22 pm »
In need of new tyres soon, and as with a lot of things Iā€™m probably putting too much though into it..

Have settled on Pilot Sport 4 to replace my SportContact5 ā€“ had no issue with the contis but general consensus is that the PS4s are even better. I am on a 17-inch rim so the following sizes are available:

225/45/R17 91 Y
225/45/R17 94 W (XL)
225/45/R17 94 Y (XL)

I know my car came with 225/45/R17 91 W (non XL) from factory so all of these variations meet or exceed the original spec. My previous contis matched the first in terms of spec ā€“ but they did roll onto the sidewalls slightly during 3x 30min track sessions throughout this year. Therefore, I wonder if I should go for an XL tyre, but these do come with a slightly higher noise rating which would affect the 99.99% on-road use the car sees. The XL rating might also make the ride harsher? Anyone have any experience with the difference these specs will make? Seems odd Michelin would manufacture such seemingly similar specifications, unless they do make a significant difference?
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
Re: Pilot Sport 4 - 17 Inch Variant Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 04:24:42 pm »
If you're used to SC5s, you might find the PS4 XL a tad harsh over broken surfaces.  The SC usually rides a lot nicer than it's competitors, but as you say, the cost of that is squidginess approaching, and on the limit.  You could consider the SC Extreme if available in your size. SC6 is out I think as it starts at 19".

The PS4 XL is well worth a slight increase in NVH, imo.  It's the best all round tyre I've ever used.  Currently on my second set, and I very rarely buy the same tyre twice!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 01:07:59 am »
Mine are the XL version. Great tyres but then again I had 3 different makes fitted to the car when I got it so I guess any 4 tyres that are the same would be better  :signLOL:
But I will get some more of these when they need replacing for sure.
Got mine from Black Circles or Camskill.

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 09:56:24 am »
Mine are the XL version. Great tyres but then again I had 3 different makes fitted to the car when I got it so I guess any 4 tyres that are the same would be better  :signLOL:

OMG are you mad! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MK5 ED30

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 08:40:11 pm »

OMG are you mad! 

Eh?

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 12:10:01 am »

OMG are you mad! 

Eh?

In guards to the three different tyres and sorry  I misread I thought you put them on there.

MK5 ED30