Make a donation

Author Topic: Seat Removal and Fitting  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Deeko01

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Seat Removal and Fitting
« on: January 20, 2019, 02:32:05 pm »
Hi All,

I just bought leather seats taken from a 2004 mk5 golf gt tdi to fit in my 2007 mk5 1.4 petrol car.

Just trying to add a little comfort but have no clue where to start, everyone on these boards seem super smart and modifying the Golf which is great but if I am honestly I have no clue other than I know what I want.

Any advice if this is even compatible plus where you would recommend getting this done that won’t cost me a total arm and a leg.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers
Derek

Offline Tin Robot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Seat Removal and Fitting
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 11:09:36 pm »
I am not a mechanic or very good mechanically and have learnt loads here.

However, I had to remove my seats when I bought my Mk5 because the car was so disgusting a quick vac wouldn't cut it.

First do not have the ignition key in. When you disconnect the seat it will trigger an airbag fault if you do.

So front seats. Push seats forward and you will see two bolts (forget the torx size but I got the right one in a pack for about £5 from halfords). Then push seats back and take out the two front bolts (so just to be clear - 2 bolts per rail, 4 per seat). Slide the seat back a bit so the seat back is roughly in line with the B pillar (makes them easier to remove) and tilt the now free chair back. You will find a few wires that just need unplugging if you have electric controls, heated seats and airbags like mine.

Now take the seat out.

The rears are easier. The base needs the covers over the isofix lifting first and then it just clips out. Can be fiddly but a 10 minute job. The backs are just some bolts. A video is on youtube as a guide.

Hope that helps

Offline Deeko01

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 07:19:34 am »
That’s a massive help thank you.

Will be sure to look at the videos on YouTube.

One last question, do the bolts need torqued up when refitting the seats?

Thanks
Derek

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 09:37:27 am »
I used the following guide to remove and change over my front and back seats.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Volkswagen_Golf_GTI_Mk_V/103-BODY-Seats_Replacement/103-BODY-Seats_Replacement.htm

All in it probably took me about an hour and half but I did disconnect my battery and leave it to stand for 30 mins (if you do that make sure you open your boot first). It’s fiddly on your own - be easier with a second pair of hands to line things up but it’s pretty simple. You do need a 10mm triple square socket (it has 12 points instead of 6 with hex) for front seats. And be careful removing the drivings one to not damage the steering wheel (it’s a tight squeeze in and out).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 09:45:38 am »
Do your seats have airbags?

Personally whenever working with airbags, I disconnect the negative terminal on the battery and stick a cloth glove over the connector to stop it making a connection.

Leave the car sit for 15 minute to allow any current discharge.

Remember you'll need radio codes and anything else your vehicle has which may be affected by a battery disconnect.

When you connect back up the battery then you'll need to go for a short drive for the lights to go off on the dash.

Edition 30 #1994 now sold. *cries*