Make a donation

Author Topic: Metal valves on monza alloys...  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Gmac

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 7
Metal valves on monza alloys...
« on: January 21, 2019, 08:52:44 pm »
Hi folks,

I suspect i have a leak from the metal valves on the monza’s. Are these metal valves known to be problematic? I’d like to change them out, but i’m not sure if this is possible?

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
Re: Metal valves on monza alloys...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 10:28:44 pm »
Yes they can leak, well one of mine did. AFAIK the earlier Monza wheels can only take the metal valves whereas later ones can take either the metal or normal valves. If your alloys have a kind of lip around the valve then it's the earlier type. The only place I found to get the valves was VW as ones off EBay weren't long enough. I'm sure mine was leaking from the seal that seals the two halves of the valve to the alloy. It will probably be worth getting the tyres of the affected wheels, dismantling the valves and cleaning any corrosion of the alloy and then re assembling as that may help re sealing them.

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 09:43:13 am »
I got a set of metal valves with my 3DSM wheels, and tried to get them fitted.

The tyre place I normally go to warned me that they are prone to leaking and issues, and suggested I didn't bother.

So I didn't bother.

Edition 30 #1994 now sold. *cries*

Offline Gmac

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 11:12:08 am »
Yes they can leak, well one of mine did. AFAIK the earlier Monza wheels can only take the metal valves whereas later ones can take either the metal or normal valves. If your alloys have a kind of lip around the valve then it's the earlier type. The only place I found to get the valves was VW as ones off EBay weren't long enough. I'm sure mine was leaking from the seal that seals the two halves of the valve to the alloy. It will probably be worth getting the tyres of the affected wheels, dismantling the valves and cleaning any corrosion of the alloy and then re assembling as that may help re sealing them.

Thanks for the reply... i’ll have a look at mine and see what’s what.

MPS

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 02:23:13 pm »
When we say valve, its actually just a threaded tube. The valve core itself is just a regular one that gets fitted to any tyre.

FWIW, I had a slow leak and I went through the rigmarole of having the tyre taken off and the wheel bead cleaned up and fitting a new valve 'tube'. It turned out I was barking up the wrong tree, the leak was through the surface of the wheel itself, a full powdercoated wheel refurb [~£280] was the only thing that cured the slow leak.

The BBS Hollowtech Monza II's as fitted to earlier GTI's [wheel part nos: 1K0 601 025 AC (17" version) and AH(18")] only use the metal valve tubes, as seen here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-Metal-Tyre-Valve-VW-Golf-Mk5-GTi-2004-07-1K0601361-New-Genuine-VW-part-/113373259049. Rubber valves won't fit on these two wheel types!

There is also a 1K0601361B valve tube as well which is shorter, which was only fitted to wheel with part no: 1K0 601 025 AM [Cars made from July 2007 to May 2008]

The rubber valves can be fitted if your wheel is part no: 1K0 601 025 BA [July '07 to June '09 build date] or BB [July '07 to June 2010]

VW love to make things complicated, don't they?

How do I know all this? https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/usa/golf+r32+gti+rabbit/go/2006-474/6/601-601070/#1

:wink:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 02:50:09 pm by MPS »

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 05:02:45 pm »
I basically solved my problem by fitting 1K0 601 025 BA wheels

Offline Gmac

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 03:45:44 pm »
So whipped off a couple of the wheels... one was AH and had a metal valve and the other back wheel was AM, which actually looks identical from the top side of the valve, but is fitted with a rubber valve..

I think I’m going to try and see if the o-ring seal can be changed out first before getting new valves.