Make a donation

Author Topic: Buying a used mk5 - What to look about for  (Read 5917 times)

Offline gstyle17009

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Buying a used mk5 - What to look about for
« on: January 29, 2019, 09:35:26 am »
Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a manual or dsg mk5 gti (Did want a mk6 but budget doesn't allow)

I have heard the DSG AKA DQ250 are pretty good in the mk5's.

Do all of the mk5's dsgs have this model in them?

As for the manual I am wanting to map it (Revo poss)  so will upgrade the clutch.

I will take my mechanic to check the car/s.

I am using the list on here as a checklist

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=111927.0

The mechanic has a machine to check fault codes if that helps?

Is there anything else I need to be aware of when looking for them.

Most have cloth seats but a few have leather which doesn't look too bad.

Thank you!

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Buying a used mk5 - What to look about for
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 07:10:58 pm »
mainly rust on the wings and sills and some times on the tail gate near the boot handle..Engine wise the usuaul ie service and cambelt and timing chain

Offline gstyle17009

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 07:18:17 pm »
mainly rust on the wings and sills and some times on the tail gate near the boot handle..Engine wise the usuaul ie service and cambelt and timing chain

Hi dude have just been reading your build thread - is pretty impressive.

How did you get on with the short shifter? And for the sparkles in the paint how did you do that?

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 07:33:34 pm »

Hi dude have just been reading your build thread - is pretty impressive.

How did you get on with the short shifter? And for the sparkles in the paint how did you do that?

Cheers mate
the shifter was a excellent upgrade and reduced the throw between cheers..The flakes in the paint are standard on metallic black lc9z but getting the right flecks in the paint is a nightmare as there is 16 different varations

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 08:01:55 pm »
Good luck getting the seller to allow you to read it's codes. I know I wouldn't let some nobody off the street plug vag-com into mine.

Offline gstyle17009

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 08:52:32 pm »
Good luck getting the seller to allow you to read it's codes. I know I wouldn't let some nobody off the street plug vag-com into mine.

I suppose its prob taking it a bit too far. Will cut that step out.

I have seen loads around leeds being raced and am trying to minimize buying a complete wreck.

I haven't bought a fast car before previous one was a Peugeot and it was almost new anyways (6 months old) so didn't have to check much on it.

I have tried a mk6 dsg and loved it. Have also driven a mk7 gti in manual and although looks good I found that I missed the DSG box on it.

So for this mk5 would prefer DSG if they are reliable boxes (which it seems like they are) but otherwise will go down the manual route.

The only thing about the DSG's I can't really get my head around is why do so many owners not get the oil changed on the dsg on time?

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 09:26:39 am »
Check it gets up to temp (90C) and stays there when you go on a run, if it drops down then you'll need a new thermostat.

Offline Alex Booth

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
  • AKS Tuning
    • AKS Tuning
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 09:36:52 am »
Main thing would be to look through the paperwork and make sure the main maintenance jobs have been. Cambelt + Waterpump, Timing Chain, latest revision PCV, & Diverter valve, Thermostat, Cam Follower changed on services, if going DSG make sure it's been serviced regularly, and then obviously check the obvious things upon viewing like rust etc.

Offline gstyle17009

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 11:52:03 am »
Thanks guys I will check them both aswell. One of the ones I am interested in the seller is claiming that VW have replaced the engine on it would that be considered a good thing or bad depending on why the engine broke?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 11:56:15 am »

No it isn't.  If the seller won't let you scan it for codes, walk away.  I've never had anyone object to it before, and neither would I object if selling my ED30.

If the seller wants a sale and has nothing to hide, he/she will be fine with you scanning it.  It's no more invasive than a HPI check.

It's very useful for cutting through the 'Never been mapped' bullsh1t.  Check the ECU flashcount.  If it's not zero, it's been mapped.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline gstyle17009

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 12:55:12 pm »

No it isn't.  If the seller won't let you scan it for codes, walk away.  I've never had anyone object to it before, and neither would I object if selling my ED30.

If the seller wants a sale and has nothing to hide, he/she will be fine with you scanning it.  It's no more invasive than a HPI check.

It's very useful for cutting through the 'Never been mapped' bullsh1t.  Check the ECU flashcount.  If it's not zero, it's been mapped.

Hi Mate so it keeps that is a common problem with these that sellers claim the cars have never been mapped?

Some of the cars I am looking at already have been mapped is that much of an issue?

Have also seen some of the ED30's that I am interested in.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 01:33:40 pm »
I'd be most concerned with evidence of regular maintenance, mapped or otherwise.

Even if the owner has done a lot of the maintenance themselves they should still be able to show you the receipts for the parts. I bet I'm not alone in keeping receipts for oil and oil filters bought when I do an oil change myself.

There are loads of rough examples out there, take the time to find the nice ones even if that means travelling far to view.

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 02:20:41 pm »

Edition 30 #1994 now sold. *cries*

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 03:22:46 pm »

Hi Mate so it keeps that is a common problem with these that sellers claim the cars have never been mapped?

Some of the cars I am looking at already have been mapped is that much of an issue?

Have also seen some of the ED30's that I am interested in.

Oh there are definitely legitimate cars out there mate, sold by honest people, but there are also people who try to pass off a put-back-to-stock car as, 'never been modified'.   By checking the ECU's flash count with VCDS, you can at least determine if the engine has been mapped or not.

Long story short - I bought my Edition 30 thinking it was standard and 'never been modified' but it had been  :grin:  It's not always a bad thing though, providing the work was done properly.  If you definitely want a 100% standard car, you need to be vigilant and do your homework.

Yep, all MK5 DSGs use the 02E DQ250, and manuals use the 02Q MQ350.  Both rated at 260lbft torque handling.

Imo, the DQ250 is the best DSG box to date.  The MQ500 in the MK7 is horrible. 

As for maps, can't go wrong with Revo for an off the shelf option, or you can get a custom map from somewhere like R-Tech.  Plenty of mapping options out there.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline gstyle17009

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 04:55:55 pm »
Issue is at the moment there are barely any decent DSG ones available and so I think I might have to settle for a Manual.

Would there be much difference between the driving feel of a mk5 and mk6 gti?

One thing that really stuck out for me was that the visibility of the mk6 was far better than the mk7 which was surprising.

Also the mk6 leather seats kill the mk7 ones.