Make a donation

Author Topic: Down on power....  (Read 57878 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Down on power....
« Reply #165 on: November 10, 2008, 10:33:23 am »

neg,

I replaced the whole unit as it is supplied by VW - You can't buy the turbo without the manifold etc because (I think) the wastegate is cast with the manifold. This raises the question of exactly which part of the integrated set my crack was on - I'll check and post accordingly.

I'm going to be starting a new topic in Troubleshooting all about my problem and how it was solved - It'll be useful to the whole community and I'll be posting links on other forums where the 2.0T FSI engine is used - Audi, Seat etc.

vRStu networks info among shared engine users and it's very helpful :happy2:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 11:55:54 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #166 on: November 10, 2008, 10:41:25 am »
How much was the Turbo unit RR ?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #167 on: November 10, 2008, 10:47:40 am »
hey robin, glad its back to full power. does it feel quicker? i wonder if any other KO3's have this problem if they are running higher boost  :scared:

....Thanks, Joe  :happy2:

Yes it feels quicker, especially after running a few hundred miles in Stock and D-mode to keep the cracked turbo from working too hard. I did a 322-mile trip on Saturday on all sorts of roads and didn't hang about and she felt like the Stage2 I had experienced for a short while before this happened - Or at least how I remember.

I don't think that alarm bells should start ringing - Possibly running Boost 7 may have contributed to the problem but the weakness was probably already in my individual casing. It's impossible to tell for certain. Revo insist that Boost 7 isn't too high.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #168 on: November 10, 2008, 10:55:17 am »

....[where's the smilie for "please read the feckin thread!"]

As I posted earlier, I paid £400 for a hardly used one (less than 4k miles) from sibart who upgraded early to a K04.

It'll cost you £650 to swop yours with one from VW, or approx £1,000 to buy new(?) outright.

If your car is modded with exhaust etc, the 2-year VW warranty will be meaningless.

I'm gonna be posting a new topic in Troubleshooting with it all concisely presented and some more pics of hot girlies interesting bits of metal.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #169 on: November 10, 2008, 10:58:32 am »
Thanks, and sorry i didnt read the whole thread but i am at work and limited to how much i can view without getting busted  :laugh:

....[where's the smilie for "please read the feckin thread!"]

As I posted earlier, I paid £400 for a hardly used one (less than 4k miles) from sibart who upgraded early to a K04.

It'll cost you £650 to swop yours with one from VW, or approx £1,000 to buy new(?) outright.

If your car is modded with exhaust etc, the 2-year VW warranty will be meaningless.

I'm gonna be posting a new topic in Troubleshooting with it all concisely presented and some more pics of hot girlies interesting bits of metal.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #170 on: November 10, 2008, 11:01:45 am »
Thanks, and sorry i didnt read the whole thread but i am at work and limited to how much i can view without getting busted  :laugh:

....No problem, buddy - I don't know how some of you guys get away with all your daytime on here anyway!

Fertive Car Forum Fetish :evilgrin:

:drinking:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #171 on: November 10, 2008, 03:21:14 pm »

LATEST INFO ON THIS TOPIC:

The Crack is located on the exhaust casting, behind the waste gate valve. So it's not on the actual K03 turbo itself.

As JKM have informed me today : -

"In order to open this valve to see the crack, the actuator needs to be temporarily removed to allow a good photograph to be taken; you are going to really struggle to open this by hand. Next time you are coming by JKM, bring the turbo with you and Jim can disconnect the actuator for you. Bear in mind that the crack although clearly visible when cold, will become bigger when the red hot exhaust gases are passing over it and the waste gate valve will not have a flush seat to sit against, hence a constant leak."

It really is a damned nuisance that VW don't/won't supply a separate manifold component but I guess there are reasons due to how the whole assembly is designed to work. On the other hand, at 57k miles I now have a nearly new turbo as well as manifold.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:24:59 pm by RedRobin »