Make a donation

Author Topic: Electric lumbar support - does car need recoding?  (Read 2435 times)

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
Electric lumbar support - does car need recoding?
« on: March 19, 2010, 10:23:11 pm »
Fitted leather GTI seats to replace my std cloth GTI ones today. My cloth seats had heating so this works fine, but didn't have the electric lumbar support, the electric lumbar support doesn't work on the new seats (everything else seems to - heating, seatbelt warning, air bags (no warning lights) can I get the car recoded to get the lumbar to work or do I need something else? Is this a stealer job, indie or someone with VAGCOM?

Thanks

John

Offline danishmkvgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
Re: Electric lumbar support - does car need recoding?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 10:37:59 pm »
you need to modify the electric plug on the car so you get + on the pin for lumbarsupport on the seats plug  :happy2:
no vcds needed

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 12:25:00 am »
Many thanks, will have a look over the weekend, do you happen to know which pin the electric lumbar +ve feed is?

On the big black connector I presume?

Thanks

John

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 12:27:24 am »
sorry no, i just watched while a smart person diid it  :jumping:
It was 1 1/2 year ago we did it in my car so sorry no, but i might have the etka for it, will try  :happy2: find it tomorrow

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 06:16:00 pm »
Hi, thanks all sorted now. The lumbar support live feed is a red black wire, I connected this to the heated seat live feed which is yellow red and hey presto all works fine. Top advice DanishMkVGTI many thanks again

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 06:23:36 pm »
 :happy2: glad you got it sorted  :drinking:

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 06:26:21 pm »
Hi, thanks all sorted now. The lumbar support live feed is a red black wire, I connected this to the heated seat live feed which is yellow red and hey presto all works fine. Top advice DanishMkVGTI many thanks again

You wouldn't be able to post a little more info on what you did for me would you? My lumber support has never worked since ive had it. Is it easy?

Cheers  :happy2:

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 06:46:59 pm »
Hi Ollie, here we go:

Push seat back as far as it will go. Disconect battery v important for safety and for avoiding airbag warning lights if you dislodge the airbag connector. (i left mine for 10 mins to be sure).

On floor next to seat rail nearest the door is a black plastic cover. Pull it up at the front (dashboard end) and you will see the connector blocks underneath. Three connector blocks - yellow block is airbag, purple (I think) block is the seat belt warning light (it is the smallest anyway) and then at the back a big black plastic block. About 5 / 6 wires at the front and one at the back. This is the block that contains the heated seat wires and the electric lumbar support wire.

the wire at the back, black / red coded is the live feed for your electric lumbar support. I cut this off from the connector block as no corresponding wire on the female (car end). On the front wires, two are live. A big fat yellow / red wire which is the live feed to the heated seats from the battery +ve terminal, fused in two places before the seat so nice and safe. Next to it is a black / blue thinner wire, this is the live feed from the heated seat switches, I ignored this wire as comes from the heated seat switches and not great to draw your lumbar current through the seat switches.

I then took a scotchlock "piggy back connector"and opened up the slit a bit to ensure I didn't cut through the big fat yellow / red wire. The Black / red wire I had cut earlier goes into the "blind" channel on the scotchlock, the yellow red wire on the through channel, I crimped the scotchlock shut, did the other seat the same.

The balck cover slides back and pushes down at the front. Reconnected the battery and enjoyed my heated seats and adjusting my lumbar support. Enjoy Cheers John

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 10:35:51 pm »
excellent write up  :congrats:

just so all know, the seat heating system changed from 06b to 07. on 06 there is a black controller box under each seat, 07 only one box under one seat.
I know it's a bit ot but still relevant imo  :smiley:

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 12:04:03 am »
Seats were from 05 car (at least the build date on the door cards was 05) and they went into an 05 car (if that helps) ??