Make a donation

Author Topic: Wives, Girlfriends & Golfs.....are they compatible?  (Read 21294 times)

Offline DavyP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Wives, Girlfriends & Golfs.....are they compatible?
« on: January 14, 2009, 03:32:18 pm »

Is it just me or does anyone else's other half not get the point of modding.

My every attempt at purchasing a mod is met with grief and the usual you spent x amount on the car why do you need to spend more?
Whats wrong with the brakes you have? There's nothing wrong with the exhaust you have already got etc.

Her latest tactic is to match my spending penny for penny, which is somewhat disturbing.

Should I have beat her when we first met? Is that why shes now so unruley

It's got to the point now where I have to covertly syphon off funds to make a purchase, made harder by the fact she's an accountant.  So make me feel better and enlighten me with your tails of grief and domestic strife.  Or perhaps a solution to my problems? :confused:

The world we live in and life in general.....

Offline markymark

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
Re: Wives, Girlfriends & Golfs.....are they compatible?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 03:38:28 pm »
My girlfriend is pretty good as she is almost as bad for speed as I am. I got her Beetle remapped and when the clutch started to slip I told her we might have to take the map off. Needless to say the map is still on there as she wasnt happy with losing any power. She loves driving my remapped Golf and as long as all the bills are paid she is happy for me to do what I like!  :happy2:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 03:41:05 pm »
My philosophy has always been the same!

''Can't live with em, can't kill em''  :laugh:

I have my own account and do what I want with my money, this seems to work until she asks how much a certain thing was then begins to think about what she could have bought for the house with ''that much!!''

:rolleye:

Offline magpie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 03:42:25 pm »
same as mark really she love the power so soon as i get a golf it will be in for a remap i think just need to decided on GTI or GTTDI then the modding will begin, she can't complain becouse i dont when she is buying another bag or shoes or make up

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 03:43:34 pm »
Mine doesn't care less, she knows I only ever spend what I have (i.e. I have no debt from either buying it or modding it) and I've always got money if we need to go halves on something like a holiday or stuff for the house. I don't question her shoe collection for the same reasons!

I don't don't have any money hungry habits like smoking etc, so the car is my only luxury expenditure.
Sideways yo!

Offline markymark

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 03:44:00 pm »
Fortunately I picked a girl who aint into make up, shoes and handbags! She likes what I tell her!!!  :signLOL:

Offline DavyP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 03:47:38 pm »

Hmmm you all seem fortunate so far, there has to be some poor soul out there who has a thumbprint larger than the one on my forehead?

The worse thing is the mods are quite expensive,  a good way to pocket money undetected was a fiver of groceries and £50 cash back, but when everything seems to add up to £1000, ie exhausts. suspension etc. £50 doesnt go far. :sad:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 04:01:34 pm »
^^^^^^^ Phil **cough** Mcavity **cough cough**   :signLOL: :signLOL:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 04:07:12 pm by Greenouse »

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 04:03:07 pm »
my missus uses the gti as her daily, top lass (Wheelman had the misfortune to meet her), she keeps asking me questions about remaps at the moment for it, ended up with the Pirelli as she wanted the extra 30ps, she has always been into cars rather than Jimmy Choos

she doesn't mix with my main hobby of sailing which is a real pain in the ar#e as had to cut my trips abroad and racing right down, no consideration, but do get time off for good behaviour

currently planning our wedding so being a bit more restrained, however, she wants to turn up in a lambo

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 04:03:39 pm »
No car is worth getting grief over - just mod it in your own time and agree a percentage of your earnings you're allowed to save, bulk this up with overtime or whatever, just don't go behind her back as it'll end up messy.

These forums are a dangerous place, you see people buying all sorts of nice things and some people feel a pressure to keep up... there's no need!

Some people save for mods, some people manage borrowing money for mods carefully and some people fall into the trap of having to live off beans for a flash car they can't afford to run because they're up to their eyeballs in debt.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 04:05:45 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline markymark

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 04:04:08 pm »
Phil **cough** Mcavity **cough cough**   :signLOL: :signLOL:
:signLOL: :signLOL: :signLOL:

Offline DavyP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 04:10:37 pm »
^^^^^^^ Phil **cough** Mcavity **cough cough**   :signLOL: :signLOL:

Now I don't know Phil, but based on my time as a lurker reading both this and the Golfgti.co.uk forum I reckon you might have a point. :grin:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 04:11:11 pm »
ask tom, he has a large thumbprint when it comes to modding his car and spending time on it! he wont appreciate me saying that! haha!

Steph is great to be honest, its my money and she knows that. and as long as she doesnt feel neglected, which i would say she never is, she doesnt mind me spending time/money on my car. she knows its a huge passion of mine!

she does occassionally say "you geek" buts only said in jest.
she loves cars nearly as much as me, and guys, dont worry shes not a butch rugby player! haha! shes got a few subtle mods to her 2008 mini! ;)

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 04:15:26 pm »
my misses is pretty relaxed about my car/motorbike/football obbsession too, think she does think I'm a bit of a geek sometimes :laugh:

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 04:20:03 pm »
My missus drives a cooper s with an lsd so is bit of a car nut herself.  Everytime i mention a remap she instantly replies, do it :smiley:
Its actually the sensible part of me putting me off.  The only reason i bought the rns-510, and the ed30 rear bumper and infact everything ive done to mine is because she was so pushy i just though **** it and spent the money :laugh: