Make a donation

Author Topic: Passenger Door Won't Unlock (R32)  (Read 28379 times)

Offline Simebaby

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
Passenger Door Won't Unlock (R32)
« on: May 23, 2010, 11:50:05 am »
Hi All

Got a problem on my R32 Mk5 (not a GTI I know, but I prefer it here). The passenger door won't unlock. I've set door locking via the highline to both Drivers and All, but the passenger door is stuck. It won't open from inside the car either. Will it be a broken mechanism or has the central locking got confused?

TIA

Si.

Offline john_o

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
Re: Passenger Door Won't Unlock (R32)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 11:54:37 am »
what happens when you hit unlock from the drivers door inside button ???

does pulling the handle (outside or inside) 'feel' right ? or overly loose.

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Simebaby

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 12:00:06 pm »

Same with the button - can hear something in the door "clunking" but can't open it.
Pulling the outside handle feels fine for a locked door. Pulling the inside handle is stiff, but I thought you could open the doors from the inside even when locked - I can do this on the drivers door with two pulls on the handle - but the passenger door is stuck fast.

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 12:04:06 pm »
This has been a common problem with Mk5.... it happened on my previous Mk5 TSi

You have to push the door handlebar in... the bit that your push your thumb on really hard until it clicks... then once its clicked, it will open again
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Nasir

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 12:57:54 pm »

Same with the button - can hear something in the door "clunking" but can't open it.
Pulling the outside handle feels fine for a locked door. Pulling the inside handle is stiff, but I thought you could open the doors from the inside even when locked - I can do this on the drivers door with two pulls on the handle - but the passenger door is stuck fast.

You can't unlock the doors from inside once you've locked the car with deadlocks.

Offline mb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 06:35:38 pm »
Had something similar on my car when I got it.  I called out VW Assistance who got the door open by gently tapping/thumping the outside door handle.  Something was getting stuck in the mechanism which the tap/thump freed and the door could be opened.  I had the mechanism replaced under warranty.

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 07:11:53 pm »
Had something similar on my car when I got it.  I called out VW Assistance who got the door open by gently tapping/thumping the outside door handle.  Something was getting stuck in the mechanism which the tap/thump freed and the door could be opened.  I had the mechanism replaced under warranty.

Yup same thing with me...

You have to push the thumb of the handle in quite vigorously then it clicked hence allowing you to open the door again
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline Simebaby

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 05:47:06 pm »
Cheers for the replies all. Tried all suggestions, but it didn't budge - it's off to be fixed tomorrow morning.

Si

Offline bugsy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 08:54:20 am »
just had this same problem on my gti the wkend after car wash, did you manage to get this sorted? And whats involved if you did. Thx

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 10:12:29 pm »
just had this same problem on my gti the wkend after car wash, did you manage to get this sorted? And whats involved if you did. Thx

Tech helped with mine.

You do need two people.

One operates the central lock switch on the drivers door while the other tries to open the passenger door. You try and open the door ant the same time as it tries ti unlock.

Can take ages.

Also give the handle a good "thump" every now and again. Not very technical but it worked.

Once you get the door open if you don't have a replacement part, take all the screws out off the door trim that you cant get to when shut.

It will come back.

BTW I do have a spare locking mechanism for the passenger side.
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline andy7ven

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 30
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 06:50:28 pm »
I had this with my GTi had to replace door mechanism fine afterwards.

Offline oldy666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 08:21:29 pm »
I have the same problem with my jetta sport. I end up pulling the inside door handle at the same time as pressing the door lock/unlock on the driver door. Right pain in the backside.
How much do new locking mechanisms costs and does the outer skin of the door need to be removed in order to fit it???

Offline markfive

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
  • You ain't seen me, right?
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 09:30:54 pm »
Had this just recently with my drivers door - and the door locks are one item that are excluded from my extended warranty  :sad1:
When the dealer investigated it turned out that three of the door locks were showing errors  :surprised: (the one that wasn't had been replaced under the original warranty about a year ago)
Cost for all three to be replaced was circa £800 - cue a request for goodwill which dropped the price to .... £89 all in  :driver:

'57 DSG GTI alas now gone, but not forgotten....
Now motorway cruising in a 61 Mondeo Titanium X Sport 2.2 TDCi. 500+ miles to a tankful and bucketloads of torque :O Ok, it's not a GTI but it's fun... and that's what counts ;)

Offline barlimow

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 04:14:42 pm »

You have to push the door handlebar in... the bit that your push your thumb on really hard until it clicks... then once its clicked, it will open again
sorry, thread ressurection... what do you mean? (I might be being thick). I don't use my thumb to open the door, I pull the handle with my hand, and this leaves a solid bit of the "handle" that doesn't move (should i push this bit in??!!).

I can't unlock from inside or out.

Offline RogerWestNZ

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2020, 03:48:30 am »
I know this is an old topic, however it comes up in google searches when people go searching for solutions to Golf MK5 door lock issues.
I thought I'd share some of my findings as it might help others searching for a way to the dreaded door hard locked issue solved.
I had this issue the other day, my mk5 rear door locked itself solid, you could hear a clunk-da-clunk when I pressed the button - but the door would not unlock and could not be opened from the inside either. I was getting rather concerned that an angle grinder might be involved in getting it open! I have pulled these doors apart and repaired the locks before - it's not hard at all - however if you can't get the door open - you have a bit of an issue fixing it!
When the car engine is off, all you have to open the door is residual battery voltage, when the engine is running, you have a fair bit more voltage because the alternator is charging the battery - this is what got my door open, the fob would't open the door while the engine was off, so I started the engine, revved a little and pressed the internal unlock button on the driver's door - lucky for me this worked!
The problem is that the mechanisms are run by tiny direct current motors. Over time, the motor brushes gum up the contacts inside the motor - meaning that normal voltage might not be enough to get the motor to turn - add a little more voltage and it should be good to go. Once you get the door unlocked, you'll probably find it will keep running ok - but DON'T TRUST IT! As soon as you can, either get a pro to replace the lock mech for you - or look up how to pull the door apart and get to the lock yourself. When I get on a computer next, I'm going to upload some pictures of how you can REPAIR the door lock yourself for little to no cost because these things aren't cheap - and most of the time, there is very little wrong with them - usually nothing a $5 motor from ebay won't solve! In all cases with mine, the small motor contacts were the issue, others have had problems with the micro-switches on the circuit boards - these cases are a little harder to deal with, but I have seen people fixing them before too.