Make a donation

Author Topic: Nail in tyre  (Read 4911 times)

Offline ccaasjf

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Nail in tyre
« on: January 21, 2009, 06:05:22 pm »
Hiya

Was out this afternoon and the tyre sensor came on, got back home, tyres looked ok, went round with the pump and found the drivers side back to be 10psi less, whilst bending down a noticed a nail in the tyre, have swapped it for the space saver.

Tyres are Dunlop Sport Max on Monza II's, I know its ok for normal tyres to be have a hole plugged is there any problems of safety issues I should be aware of with low profiles?

Thanks in advance
Si

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
Re: Nail in tyre
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 06:26:19 pm »
where is the hole ?

Offline ccaasjf

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 06:32:47 pm »
Between the outside and the middle of the tyre tread and it goes straight through, not at an angle.

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 06:37:58 pm »
should be repairable. Take it to kwik fit, but watch em be carefull with you alloy with their horrid pry bar :mad:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 06:41:22 pm »
as said above should be ok, i would go to a recommended garage somewhere though

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 06:48:09 pm by 182_blue »

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 06:47:47 pm »
as long as the tyre wall itself isnt damaged then its repairable. leave the nail in it, they will remove it and then drill the hole to just smaller than the size of a rubber bung, this is then glued in place, dries, re-inflated and then back on the car

just had a similar experience, ATS £16.50 for the repair and took about 10 minutes

the thread:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1526.0

Offline ccaasjf

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 06:58:17 pm »
Thank you, was very impressed with the graphic 182_Blue.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 06:58:53 pm »
should be repairable. Take it to kwik fit, but watch em be carefull with you alloy with their horrid pry bar :mad:

Are you mad i would rather drive round with the puncture than take a £20,000 car too a young offenders institute.

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 07:05:47 pm »
Thats not always the case Topcat, you could have that at any garage or backstreet tyre dealer. Ive had great service from Kwikfit (in My area) but in liverpool, they may well be ex drug dealers or Young offenders as you say.

As long as you before tyre comes off, you agree alloy wheel condition before they remove it. Then theres no problem.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 07:12:48 pm »
Thats not always the case Topcat, you could have that at any garage or backstreet tyre dealer. Ive had great service from Kwikfit (in My area) but in liverpool, they may well be ex drug dealers or Young offenders as you say.

As long as you before tyre comes off, you agree alloy wheel condition before they remove it. Then theres no problem.

I am sure you will feel better about your wheel getting damaged if they agree to fix any damage. I still reckon you will cry though wether they replace it or not.
I will stick to a reputable place thankyou, i defo would not reccomend Kwik-fit to anyone  :drinking:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 07:16:10 pm »
But look what happened to mine Tc, went to VW dealer, came back with 3 inch scuff, 2 lever marks, so goes to show you cannot trust no place unless youve good experiance from that retailer in the Past.Youve obviously had the reverse to whats happened to mine.
Ive learnt, that if youre stood there watching them, they tend to be more careful, whereas you take to the dealers, behind closed doors, you cannot see your car and whats being done till you get your keys back.

end of the day , its your choice what you do but i wouldnt single out Kwikfit as a bunch of Young offenders.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 07:19:10 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 07:24:35 pm »
Granted damage can get done by any garage which is why i said i would take it to a reputable place, where obviously the chances are less. I cant ever remember Kwik fit having a good reputation unless the OP lives in drug free Portsmouth then he is not going to get the good  service that you say Kwikfit give you, unless your tyre fitter works Nationally.  :smiley:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 07:28:53 pm »
i dont live in portsmouth!, hate the place except for visits to JKM. I dont think Drug free and Portsmouth ever work in the same sentance :signLOL:.

Perhaps im lucky have such a good kwik fit dealer and such a sh*te VW SERVICE dealer. :fighting:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 07:30:34 pm »
i dont live in portsmouth!, hate the place except for visits to JKM. I dont think Drug free and Portsmouth ever work in the same sentance :signLOL:.

Perhaps im lucky have such a good kwik fit dealer and such a sh*te VW SERVICE dealer. :fighting:

I personally would say thats unlucky  :P

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 07:32:34 pm »

I personally would say thats unlucky  :P
yep, feels like it  :sad: