Make a donation

Author Topic: New tyre time  (Read 1044 times)

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
New tyre time
« on: August 15, 2010, 10:02:52 am »
Hi all, I'm due an mot next month and have noticed my fronts are a bit low.

Can anyone offer any advice re tyres? I've got goodyear assymetrics all round, should I look to keep the same or what would be a good match?

My tyre fitter guy suggests keeping the rears where they are and putting the new ones on the front....or should I take the assymetrics from the rear stick them on the front and replace the rear tyres with the new ones?

I heard that F1 assymetrics were in short supply recently have things changed?

Vreds? Is there a good Dunlop that anyone would recommend? Michellan ps3? I'm guessing but would it be ok to mix with the assymetrics?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:10:15 am by no golf clubs at all »

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
Re: New tyre time
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 11:21:48 am »
Found this....I should have searched...
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11628.30.html

..still it would be good to hear opinions about whether the new tyres should go on the front or should I swap the rears.

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 11:40:53 am »
I need some new tyres for my GTI soon and was with Protyre motorsport who provide tyre support most of the race series in the UK, e.g BMW, Porsche etc and know a thoing or two about tyres, also the main importer for kumho, michelin etc.

There view on the best (performance, handling, life) tyre for a modified Golf GTI - non track use - Michelinpilot sport 3, but a bit pricey (their retail was about £90 from memory) and almost as good, slightly better life and better wet performance was conti sport contact 3, and their price for these was about 77 / 78 from memory. I am definitely going conti sport contact 3 in a few weeks when I have wrung a bit more wear out of my dunlops, for what it is worth, they agreed with the view of many on this forum that the dunlops really are not the best tyre money can buy  :wink:

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 11:41:44 am »
I've just changed my fronts from Vredestein Ultac Sessantas to Michelin PS3s and they are far better. I was pretty impressed with the Sessantas but in the wet the PS3s embarrass them - the grip is incredible.

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 01:28:43 pm »
^^^^

X2

I went from Sessanta to PS3 and dry grip is just as good if not better but wet grip is fantastic. My sessanta had 5mm left on them aswell so not as if the tyres were on the way out. :happy2: